Hardening Off Hyacinth Bean and JMG

patrick212May 11, 2010

Does anyone have experience in hardening off Hyacinth Bean Vine and/or Japanese Morning Glory (Picotee)? Both of these vines seem very sensative to the cold (mid 50s). I have a good deal of experience in hardening off the plants I grow from seeds and these two varieties show some pretty serious wilting with cooler temperatures and wind. They bounce back within an hour of bringing them back inside.

I know that Hyacinth Bean typically likes the heat but none of the other Morning Glories that I've grown have been this sensitive. Of the 16 flats I'm hardening off these are the only two plants that are having problems. The plants are approximately 6 weeks old and very healthy.

I've also posted this question on the Growing from Seed forum. Thanks in advance for any information you can share.

Take care, Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lisa33(6b Bucks County PA)

I hardened off about a dozen hyacinth bean vines this year and they seemed to get cranky about cool temps (drooping when temps dipped much below 40) but did quite well. A couple of times I brought them back in the house looking droopy and watered them, but brought them back out in a few hours after they perked back up. I was very haphazard about it all and did not lose a single one. I started mine two months ago (3/15). I just planted out the last of them today.

Hope that helps. My general impression was that they are pretty resilient.

Lisa

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 8:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patrick212

Lisa,

Thanks for sharing your experience. We had a couple of warmer days here in Chicago and the vines did well overnight. I planted them in containers on Sunday and they seem to be fine.

Just like me they aren't all that happy with cold and windy spring days.

Take care, Pat

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 10:01AM
More Discussions
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
Cupseed - Calycocarpum lyonii
Does anyone have experience with Cupseed - Calycocarpum...
stardrifting
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Vine recommendation
Can someone recommend a flowering vine which I can...
Radu.V
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™