Does anyone here grow Lochroma royal queen purple?

roselee z8b S.W. TexasMarch 18, 2014

I meant: Iochroma royal queen purple. Sorry about that. The edit feature doesn't let you change the subject line.

And who was the kind gardener that gave me one?

It came out of the overcrowded overwintering house in great condition and with buds. Now I'm trying to figure out how and where to plant it.

The internet says it does well in a pot, but will it be hardy? Some sites say root hardy in zone 7, other say 8. And some say hardy and evergreen in zone 9 to 11.

What say you?

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Google search for Iochroma royal queen purple?

This post was edited by roselee on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 15:37

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jardineratx(zone 8, Texas)

I have a 3-year old Lochroma Royal queen purple that has been unprotected from frosts (except for leaf cover on the ground). Even after this very cold winter which included two "ice" days, it has come roaring back from the roots. I am in zone 8b.
My lochchroma is planted in a flower bed that is primarily dappled sun throughout the day. It has been completely healthy, but does not bloom repeatededly. I have had blooms in April and again in the fall.
Molly

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 9:18AM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Molly, thank you for replying. It's nice to know what to expect.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 1:12AM
castro_gardener

Wow, Ragna ! Please start one for me !

patty

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 2:11PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Okay Patty, I will. The buds are showing the dark purple color. I just wish I could remember who, at the last plant swap, passed it along to me.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 6:00PM
marcie_new(z8)

Hi Roselee could I impose on you ? and ask for a cutting from the Iochroma? pretty please, looks like I will be attending the swap this year, are u going to the Rogiers park next week? I know for sure I am going to Balcones park. Please let me know. Thanks Marcie

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 12:11PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Roselee I think the purple is called Purple Prince, the Queen is a bright pink. its just called lochroma" Queen" I have given cutting away on both of these as well as the ruby red, I purchaed them from Kratz Greenhouse online years ago. I have to cut them back every year, or they get too leggy. I don't remember if I gave you cuttings, but if you want some I can take cuttings the next time I go down, and bring them back.I have tried to root them, but could not root them in water, they need to be put in soil, and only the tips of the plants planted. I saw the video that someone put on this forum. Barbra

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 4:04PM
roselee z8b S.W. Texas

Barbra, sounds like I probably got the plant from you ... :-) Thanks for the name correction and the tip on how to root it.

Marcie, I sent you an email through GW. Looking forward to seeing you and everybody at the swap.

Bookmark   March 27, 2014 at 8:39PM
honeybunny2(Z9TX)

Roselee I looked up and there is a Royal Queen iochroma, the blooms are much smaller than Purple Prince. I called Kratz Greenhouse the year that these new 4 iochroma came out. He said that the larger blooms do much better in Texas. I bought Purple Prince and Queen, did not get the white, or the light pink, I think is called Princess. I have Ruby Red which has the smaller blooms .it doesn't blooms as well as the others. Barbra

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
Does this organic weedkiller REALLY work?
I've been hearing a lot of claims that a combination...
mrs.wiggley
How to plant Pride of Barbados seed pod?
Hi, For the first time I have a seed pod from my Pride...
monicatx
Pink & White flowering native trees
I saw some light pink flowering trees yesterday in...
ruthz
'Miss Kim' - A Lilac for South Texas
Lilac "Miss Kim" is a dependable bloomer...
Eric
Thoughts on my grow list....
These guys are getting potted up the first time on...
reedbaizetex
Sponsored Products
Addison Purple Sham - Euro
Crane and Canopy
Shades of Blue Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Foil Undertone Purple Glass Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Nancy Purple 18 x 18 Patterned Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Jane Seymour Green & Purple Phalaenopsis Orchid 10H in. Silk Flower Arrangement
$90.00 | Hayneedle