Armenian cucumber

duke39March 1, 2013

Anyone have any experience growing these? I am growing some this year and would appreciate any tips/advice on growing them. They are also called painted serpent and striped serpent. They are a long slicing cucumber. I am planning on growing them in a large container and on a trellis.Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PKponder TX(7b)

I had a friend who grew them a few years ago. Her's were in ground and trellised on cattle panel. These are really good cucumbers, hollow in the center and the peels are edible, not bitter at all. Regular garden soil with a healthy addition of homemade compost and drip irrigation. No special care that I was aware of. I am going to plant some of those seeds this year! Thanks for reminding me :-)

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 9:27PM
duke39

Ok..thanks for the response. I was told that they were not bitter and are a good slicing cucumer. And that they grow to be 2-3 ft long.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 12:08AM
PKponder TX(7b)

They are long and curvy. The seeds are in the hollow center, like a winter squash. The challenge is to eat it once it's cut! They held up well in the fridge with plastic over the cut end for about a week. Just one is a lot of cucumber :-)

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 8:40AM
wally_1936(8b)

I grew them years ago down near the coast and they were great. My only problem I was working offshore most of the time and when I came home to weed my garden I pulled them up by accident the plant was doing fine and putting on fruit even in the weeds.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 10:14AM
txplantaholic(z8 TX)

I have grown these for years and find that in my garden they tolerate summer heat better than other types of cucumber.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 11:57AM
duke39

Thanks for all the responses.I think I will be happy with them I have 2of these ready to put out as soon as I can. Hopefully next week when it warms up.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 1:39PM
duke39

Thanks for all the responses.I think I will be happy with them I have 2of these ready to put out as soon as I can. Hopefully next week when it warms up.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 1:41PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

They like heat, like a melon. This cool weather might not be what they like. They take a while to get started , but once they do , they really take off. I plant them once it warms up.

Bookmark   March 2, 2013 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Need idea for replacing evergreen shrub in shade
I pulled out a pittosporum that was in a shady spot...
denisew
info about gardening in Dallas?
My daughter just bought a house and has asked for help...
teacup754
Some Serious Spines ...
These look like some serious spines! But I love their...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Seed Starting / Mini Greenhouses
I have been saving the clear plastic containers that...
Gretchen Wood
Do you have plant markers?
Since words and names don't come as easily to my mind...
marti8a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™