Looking for vine safe for children

ironyuppieMay 14, 2010

hi

im looking for a vine that will climb a metal chain link fence about 5 ft high.

It gets moderate sun but problably more shade.

Before any research i had thought of Boston ivy, thats i guess what type im interested in. Although i had come to a snag in that it is highly toxic if ingested and peopel have allergic reactions to it.

Is there a nice vine similar to that one that is not allergic adn would not be a problem to small children? Its for a daycare facility.

thanks alot

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ala8south

As far as I know my trumpet honeysuckle isn't toxic. It's also not invasive and I haven't noticed bees being interested in it much. Pretty and blooms, here in Alabama anyway, just about all year round.
dell

Bookmark   May 27, 2010 at 9:19PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

You could try a grapevine or two. There is not one toxic thing about a grapevine. Problem is, they go dormant in the winter, and need to be pruned to get grapes, but in spring you can make delicious Greek Dolmadas for the kids with the leaves, and the children can eat the grapes when they are ripe. There are several seedless varieties that grow in cooler areas. I think Vanessa is one. Just a suggestion.
And on top of that, when the vines get established, you can root cuttings in water, and the kids can get a lesson in watching them grow in plastic pots.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 3:45PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Avoid the honeysuckle....the seeds can cause problems, especially for small children.

Bookmark   May 30, 2010 at 6:29AM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

I have been planting Carolina Jessamine on my iron work and chain link fence. It's native, evergreen and has very brilliant yellow flowers in early spring.

I don't know if it's toxic.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 4:10PM
More Discussions
Vine recommendation
Can someone recommend a flowering vine which I can...
Radu.V
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™