Blue Thunbergia

peatpod(Z5b Ontario)May 4, 2009

I recently purchased a blue thunbergia and this is a new plant to me ... but oh my god beautiful!!! I have no clue what it likes and does not like. Also II noticed that the buds develope a sticky substance...almost like honeydew from aphids .. but it is only on the buds. Have inspected the entire plant and have not found any time of bug life =) Can someone please tell me what this is? Does the plant require ants or other pests to bloom thus creating the sticky substance?

Thanks so much

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jordan_californicus

Here's something to get you started on likes / dislikes:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1968/

Seems like a rather interesting plant. Had never heard of it until your post, I was only familiar with the 'Black-eyed Susan' Thunbergia and some of it's similar cultivars.

As far as the stickiness, if the plant appears healthy, then it may be the plant's way of inviting ants onto itself as a defense against other herbivorous insects. Other plants use similar techniques.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 11:47PM
bossjim1

There are several 'Blue 'Thunbergias. I have three, and without knowing exactly which one you have, it's difficult to guess what is going on with your plant. Here's a picture of my Thunbergia battiscombei, maybe it's the one?
Jim

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 8:58AM
alexis717_df

Bossjim that is beautiful. Where did you find it? I've never seen the blue before and would love to get some.

TIA
Alexis

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 1:13PM
bossjim1

Alexis, I purchased it at a local nursery. It is a zone 9 plant.
Jim

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 1:42PM
peatpod(Z5b Ontario)

Bossjim ... the Thunbergia I purchased is the grandiflora .. does this help at all?

Bookmark   May 5, 2009 at 11:16PM
bossjim1

peatpod, I don't recall my Thunbergia grandiflora having a sticky substance on the buds. Of course, it's not in bloom right now, so can't check. Your description certainly resembles an infestation.
Jim

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 8:55AM
piksi_hk(9)

Hi Jim,

The thunbergia has several blooms!
Do you have yours in shade? or part shade/sun? Mine is in a big pot right now. I don't have much shade but I can move it around.

Also the bleeding heart you sent me is also blooming; just lovely.

Betsy

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 4:11PM
bossjim1

Great Betsy, glad you're getting blooms! My sky vine bloomed nearly all winter, but is taking a break right now. It gets full afternoon sun.
Jim

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 6:38PM
karyn1(7a)

I've never noticed a sticky substance on my Thunbergia grandiflora either so I just went out to check a bud and there's nothing. Are you sure there's no insects on the buds that are producing the "honeydew"? Aphid infestations are pretty common with this plant. Have you seen any ants crawling on the vine?

I keep mine moderately moist and protect it from late afternoon sun. I'm in zone 7 so mine is container grown. I have several other thunbergia varieties and all get the same care. My other blue varieties are more like small bushes and then there's the Black Eyed Susan and African Sunset (Thunbergia alata) that are vines but I don't think they are nearly as pretty as the grandiflora.

Bookmark   May 6, 2009 at 6:43PM
greenpassion(z4-z5 VT)

Hello out there! I am curious about gathering seeds from my blue sky thunbergia vine. I have collected the seeds from my blushing susie, and the orange ones, and am hoping that this will be as easy. Anyone else had any sucess with the seeds?

Bookmark   July 17, 2010 at 2:13PM
More Discussions
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
Best evergreen (in zone 6b) vine to cover fence?
Hi, I'm new here. We bought a house late last summer,...
HollyAnnM
Are old MG seeds still good
I have some Japanese morning glory seeds that are several...
eloise_ca
Gnarly old grape vine
A neglected grape vine/arbour with a lattice of thick...
logo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™