will perlite hurt my worms?

jajm4(z5 w. mass, usa)June 18, 2011

I've had an indoor worm set up for 20+ years, but I just did something without thinking and now I'm not sure if I've messed it all up.

I had a dead plant in some potting mix with perlite in it, and I tossed it in the bin, thinking the worms would eat the plant and the soil mix would just get mixed with the castings and I would then recycle it into the next growing medium later.

But then it occurred to me that maybe perlite is bad for the worms. They won't eat it, will they? I mean, is it the sort of thing that could do them harm if they try?

What about vermiculite? I sometimes add some of that to my containers, too, to keep the mix from being too heavy. I'd like to be able to add defunct container plants to my worm bins without worrying about adding the potting mix along with them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plumiebear(z9? CA)

I doubt it. If diatomaceous earth doesn't hurt worms, I don't see why perlite would. Worms are tougher than they look. They can burrow through some pretty rough stuff without getting all scratched up. They also ingest all sorts of sharpish material like crushed eggshells, etc. But if you're uncertain, just scoop most of it out.

Andrew

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 9:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
equinoxequinox

I think you can "add defunct container plants to my worm bins without worrying about adding the potting mix along with them." I would.

Bookmark   June 19, 2011 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
More worm factory questions.
First of all, thank you for all the help this forum...
byrdmando
Worm Factory outdoors
Would this kill the worms or just decrease their activity...
pasmack
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
Merrygardener
worms and compost
I have been using 3 compost bins outside, each about...
wolverine1012
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™