honeysuckle disease?????

ChandraLynneMay 22, 2005

my honeysuckle vine has black spots on the leaves and gray stuff growing on the flower heads. the leaves are wilting and the flowers are moldy looking. what is this and how do I get rid of it? It's new - I just planted it last fall.

thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rachel77(7 TX)

Holy crap, the same thing is happening to mine!!! It was gorgeous earlier, but it's got the same thing! I have two other honeysuckles that are doing fine...

Bookmark   May 22, 2005 at 9:49PM
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

Sounds like Powdery Mildew. There are a number of cultivars that are prone to it. Last year my Goldflame was covered in it as well as my peony. This year it seems to be okay. The weather often plays a factor in how bad it will be that year. You can spray with anything labeled for PM or try the Cornell formula as a spray (or equivalent which I think is baking soda in water with some Ultrafine Horticultural oil and Murphy's oil soap as a sticker).

Bookmark   May 23, 2005 at 3:29PM
thistle(ontario 5b)

My two Honeysuckles used to have the same problem until I learned that the aphids which overwinter on the vines cause the black gunk which in turn causes the fungal diseases such as mildew etc. Now I dormant oil spray mine every year before the leaves break out and I never have a problem now.

Bookmark   June 25, 2005 at 12:32PM
queencrimson

Mine developed the powdery mildew the first year. Then I read somewhere that spraying a solution of 50% water with 50% non-fat milk would control powdery mildew and it worked like a miracle!

Now suddenly it's leave are yellowed and spotted. I assumed at first it was the mildew again, but upon closer inspection saw there are 1/8 inch wide "trails" through the leaves, as if some kind of insect has tunneled through them. But when I looked on the backside of the leaves there's no evidence of the trails.

Anyone have a clue what kind of bug would do this and what to do to control them?

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 4:59AM
More Discussions
Cupseed - Calycocarpum lyonii
Does anyone have experience with Cupseed - Calycocarpum...
stardrifting
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
Are old MG seeds still good
I have some Japanese morning glory seeds that are several...
eloise_ca
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™