citrus trees no leaves-

flowerlover78(8b)March 29, 2011

well I have a handful of trees that did not do too well with the cold snap, I did wrap them, however I think a tad too late. However- the trees are still alive just no leaves so far, I do have several of them growing from rootstock under the graft point. Do you think the tops will come back, I had heard not to give up until at least May- I do know that the trunks and most of the thicker branches are still alive and green. - what is your opinion? I did however have a lemon that did amazing and is full of leaves, also a key lime and a valencia- so there is just about 4 others that are up in the air, 3 of them do have shoots coming from under the graft. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bootscootengal

i had an orange tree. didn't get it wrapped in time. the leaves r all dried up. but still hoping. be eager to see what eveyone has to say. joyce

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 4:29PM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

The graft top is the tree you bought. The graft bottom is a root stock tree that may or may not be what you want. It may have thorns. Do a scratch test. If the wood above the graft is green your tree is still alive. If not, you have root stock. If you have green above the graft but allow the tree below the graft to develope leaves it will choke out the tree you bought for the root stock tree.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 6:23PM
flowerlover78(8b)

thanks all- I know that the rootstock is not what I want and I know the tops are still green, I knicked them- I will just cut the suckers from the bottom and hope for the best.

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 9:14AM
texazgal(7/8)

My lemon tree also took a bad hit from the 13 degree spell. However, in the past week, it has sprouted fresh leaves on the upper branches that were still green. Probly not get any lemons this year, but at least its living. Its not a grafted tree, I got it from a local nursery that either used seeds or cuttings. Year before last it had 7 lemons, past year, none.

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 12:34PM
More Discussions
'Miss Kim' - A Lilac for South Texas
Lilac "Miss Kim" is a dependable bloomer...
Eric
Gomphrena globosa 'Fireworks' not an annual
Who else grows 'Fireworks' globe amaranth? It's listed...
briaustex 8b
Iris Bloom on a Sunday!
This is another bloom that graced my morning walk....
pinkkpearls
I'm moving over here :) Castle looking house
Hi all! I recently posted pics over on the landscaping...
joannatmf
Did anyone's firecracker plant come back in zone 8?
It is such a pretty plant and spreads so fast, I think...
marti8a
Sponsored Products
Alessi | Blow Up Citrus Basket
$205.00 | YLighting
Resort White Cabana Tote
$178.00 | Horchow
Embroidered Fretwork Pillow
Grandin Road
Desperate Husbands BBQ Citrus Rub - Set of 3 - POPE007
$27.99 | Hayneedle
Valencia Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
2-in-1 Glass Rimmer
$6.99 | zulily
Citrus Circle Rings Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag Pendant
Lamps Plus
Antica Farmacista Prosecco Diffuser
$69.00 | FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™