Grape Trellis Questions

jeph36May 9, 2007

Hello,

I am a newbie to grape planting and we need to put up a trellis. We planted 3 grapes in a line each 8' apart. At each grape we placed a metal fence post for the main "stalk" to climb. We have planned to put a 4"x4" post 4' on either side of each grape (total of 4 posts). The east end of the bed butts up to a concrete slab, so that corner post is unable to have any room outside the bed to make a good corner post (either a 2-post-with-angled-brace or a dead-man anchor). Here are some ideas I had that might allow it to work for my setup, so please comment on them if you think they will/will not work for my needs:

1) Use a "pipe" or some sort of solid "tube" as the top trellis line (possibly electrical conduit?). This would not pull like a wire would and thus I thought I could get away with no corner bracing. Can grapes grab something that big? What will work in the Iowa weather?

2) Use wire like a normal trellis, but use an inside angled brace (e.g. a 2"x4"). Something like this: http://images.scrippsweb.com/HGTV/2004/07/29/gby906_2l_e.jpg

Will something like that be strong enough? What should I use as the "base" of that angled piece? How far from the grape should I keep the bottom of that angled piece?

3) Concrete/gravel/etc the post hole for that corner post. Will that provide enough anchor to keep it from sagging too much?

4) Other ideas?

Remember that I should have support every 4 feet (the main posts and the fence posts at the plants). It is possible that in a couple years we may tear out that concrete pad anyway, but it is not in this year's plans.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prysson

jeph36,

Hi there. I think you might be doing a bit of overkill here.

In my vineyard We have 300 foot rows with 40 vines in a row. We only have a support post every 20 feet.

We also angle our endposts outward to resists the tension of the wire.

Ultimately though consider this, Each vine if properly tened might produce between 10 to 20 pounds of fruit. Add to that another 1-2 lbs of wood (after dormancy) heavier when green with leaves.

I think the internal support will be fine for just 3 vines. I have seen people using just rebar with no support in rows conatining as many as 10 vines for trellising and I myself have one small plot of 4 vines with to 4x4 end posts and no support with thin cables acting as trellis. My posts dont sag inward.

Considering you havce a steel posts for each vine to act as additional support you should be fine with the support shown at http://images.scrippsweb.com/HGTV/2004/07/29/gby906_2l_e.jpg

You will find BTW that wire is much easier to work with than pipe for tying up vines and shoot positioning.

Grapevines - Ecce Vineyard & Nursery

Here is a link that might be useful: Ecce Vineyards

Bookmark   May 13, 2007 at 7:31PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
n8yel_yahoo_com

There is a company in my home town that makes a Grape Trellis system that is very nice and sturdy and not too expensive....It is called the Wolverine Geneva Double Curtain Grape Trellis. The company name is Agritek Industries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agritek Industries

Bookmark   July 31, 2007 at 2:43PM
More Discussions
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Climbing Evergreen Vine for Zone 7A
I'm in Nashville, TN and would love an evergreen vine...
chelseapetaja
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Will disturbing roots inhibit flowering of Confederate Jasmine ?
I have a large confederate jasmine (trachelospermum...
peterk312
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Sponsored Products
Noe Wine Rack by Alessi
$90.00 | Lumens
Grape Harvest Apothecary Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Antique Fleur-De-Lis Grape 3 ft.
Home Depot
Personalized Vino Bell Plaque
Grandin Road
Chianti Series Grapes Cork Cabinet Knob
Signature Hardware
R for Roma Art Print
$25.66 | Dot & Bo
24-Inch Meyda Grape Three-Light Chandelier
$612.00 | Bellacor
Prago Fruit and Wine Press
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for: