Helping finding an Indoor vine to grow up a trellis

hugh384May 22, 2012

Hello!,

Im looking for an easy beginner vine that I can grow on a indoor trellis and an explanation on how i can get the vine to attach itself and grow up the trellis. I was at looking Philodendron scandens because it relativly fool proof but would love and suggestion.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Hoya carnosa is very tolerant of neglect and can be twined onto a trellis. Fragrant flowers.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 8:43AM
denninmi(8a)

Some vines will attach to a trellis, some won't. It depends on what method they use to cling or climb. Some have tendrils, those will climb a trellis. Some climb by twining and twisting, such as morning glory or wisteria, those can climb a trellis. Philodendrons, pothos, Boston and English Ivy all climb by means of small roots that cling to rough surfaces such as bark or brick, those wouldn't be able to climb a smooth trellis made of metal, finished wood, or plastic, you would need to periodically clip or tie the vine to the trellis.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 4:40PM
gypsypitcrew(9)

While it won't flower indoors without a lot of sun, Porcelain Plants, aka Wax Plants, grow thick and lush up a trellis with very little effort on your part.

Bookmark   June 11, 2013 at 12:16PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Porcelain Plant/Wax Plant is the Hoya carnosa I recommended originally. Mine flowers indoors.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 1:48PM
More Discussions
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™