Can I grow Star Jasmine on this trellis?

aggieroseMay 2, 2014

Hello! I just purchased a star jasmine and I planned on making a trellis for it. I was going to use 3 cedar 2x4's and attach them to my wall vertically approx 16" apart. I was then going to attach lattice to the 2x4's creating a rectangle 4 feet wide and 8 feet tall. I will stain all of it with the same stain that I used on my cedar fence. My goal is to grow the jasmine in a more shaped form and keep it in the shape of the trellis. A family member just told me that a wooden trellis like that will rot and won't hold a jasmine and I will have to replace it in less than 2 years. Is that true? I really don't want to spend the money on a metal trellis. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I don't know why they say it wouldn't take a Trachelospermum jasminoides. You can prune them back to any size you like. As to rotting - I live in a very wet climate and trellis lasts about 10 years if treated and well mounted i.e. held away from the wall and not touching the ground to allow air flow. I've never used cedar trellis.

Bookmark   May 3, 2014 at 10:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adidasdude41(9)

Can I grow Star Jasmine on this trellis?

Posted by aggierose (My Page) on Fri, May 2, 14 at 23:06

Hello! I just purchased a star jasmine and I planned on making a trellis for it. I was going to use 3 cedar 2x4's and attach them to my wall vertically approx 16" apart. I was then going to attach lattice to the 2x4's creating a rectangle 4 feet wide and 8 feet tall. I will stain all of it with the same stain that I used on my cedar fence. My goal is to grow the jasmine in a more shaped form and keep it in the shape of the trellis. A family member just told me that a wooden trellis like that will rot and won't hold a jasmine and I will have to replace it in less than 2 years. Is that true? I really don't want to spend the money on a metal trellis. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Can you upload a picture?

Bookmark   October 9, 2014 at 5:59PM
More Discussions
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™