Mouldy banana skins

organic_wonderfulJune 11, 2011

I have one of those kitchen composting caddies that you put your kitchen waste into. Since I eat a lot of bananas, the banana skins build up in there. The ones at the bottom have become quite moldy, and I was wondering whether the mouldy bits at the bottom are still okay to put into my wormery?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fam62cc

Toss em in. The worms love them.

Dave Nelson

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 9:03AM
plumiebear(z9? CA)

Yup, worms love mold. I'm assuming from your handle that you're talking about organic bananas. There's been some discussion that non-organic bananas have been sprayed with something that inhibits worm reproduction. I haven't noticed it because banana skins are a very small % of my food scraps and I have large worm bins. But it's something to consider for those with smaller bins and lots of banana skins.

Andrew

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 2:11PM
equinoxequinox

Possibly empty more frequently or eat more vegetables so it gets full and then needs emptying more often. Or tear into inch size pieces the cardboard carton from the eggs and put this at the bottom of the caddy. This will make the enviornment dryer and less mushy on the bottom and keep the container pleasanter. When adding the contents of the container to the bin the carton can go in too.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 6:34PM
More Discussions
How do I delete my photos ?
Where did the edit feature go ? Houzz is a venal predator...
barbararose21101
recent roamers
I've had 2 bins inside since last Oct. without any...
harry57
Worms for Raised Bed Garden
So I was digging in my raised bed gardens, which are...
susancol
When to start feeding in Second Tray of Worm Factory
When should I start feeding in Second Tray of Worm...
charlieboring
Puffs Plus with Lotion Tissues/Kleenex
Hello all, This is my first post in this forum so I...
latebloomer23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™