Amethyst Falls Questions

garettJune 20, 2007

I am thinking of planting an Amethyst Falls plant and letting it grow up the post of my front porch. This would be the first ivy i have ever planted so I have a couple of questions.

Would I need to plant this in pot or should I put in directly in my garden. Also, will I need to help guide it somehow in the direction I want it to grow? Finally, when would be the best time to plant? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

Amethyst Falls is a variety of wisteria. I've never heard of Amethyst Falls ivy.
Karyn

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 1:55AM
kayskats

I just planted an Amethyst Falls wisteria in the side yard .. the plan is that it will climb up a wooden swing set that the grandkids no longer use.
If the wisteria is what you're talking about, better make sure the post is really strong... these things get BIG and heavy.

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 10:46AM
garett

Sorry about my mistake with terminology. I am in the vine forum, so I am talking about the vine.

Everything I have read about(and seen pictures of) suggest that this cultivar is much smaller and tamer than the asian forms of wisteria. Some even call it a dwarf plant. Does anyone know specifically how big it can get?

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 8:50PM
karyn1(7a)

Mine are climbing up 20' wooden light posts and made it to the top in a few years then they just started growing back down. I have no problem with the Amethyst Falls becoming invasive or sending out runners. If a branch drops to the soil it will root but it's easily pulled up. It's later than the other varieties to put out foliage and blooms but IMO it's well worth the wait. I think the flowers are much prettier and after the initial flush of flowers they'll continue to bloom sporatically throughout the summer. I have a few blooms on mine right now.
Karyn

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 2:56PM
judy_graham_gmail_com

I'm trying to cover 35 feet of 6 ft sturdy fencing. How far apart do I plant Amethyst Falls wisteria plants? Once established how much water do they need?
Thanks!

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 7:59PM
karyn1(7a)

I think 2 vines about 15' apart should cover the fence in a couple years. Once my plants were established I virtually ignored them. I've never given them supplemental water, even during a drought and I've never fertilized them. They grow beautifully and produce loads of blooms but they've never produced any seed pods.
Karyn

Bookmark   July 8, 2007 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
Lonicera sempervirens on house?
I just found 'Major Wheeler' and bought it before having...
northraleighguy
Creeping Fig Question
I'm wanting to grow creeping fig up the wall of a two...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Sponsored Products
Tech Lighting | Backjet Wall Light
$240.00 | YLighting
5 Lights Happy Bees Theme Chandelier for Children's Room
ParrotUncle
AICO Furniture - Palais Royale Buffet in Rococo Cognac - 71005-6
Great Furniture Deal
Foscarini | Tropico Bell Suspension Lamp
YLighting
Tan 84 x 50-Inch Grommet Blackout Curtain Panel Pair
$88.95 | Bellacor