When does wisteria bloom?

jerryngeorgia31557(8)June 4, 2009

I had someone send me a wisteria in trade as a bonus and was wondering when it might bloom. It is only about 12 tall and sending out shoots. I have had people tell me 3 yrs, 5 yrs, and 10 yrs. I am not sure what kind it is but would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arctictropical(Z4)

If it is an oriental variety that blooms on old wood, you never know. I've had one for about 10 years and it has not bloomed yet. After extensively studying the subject, the following suggestions may help. To help it bloom earlier, make sure it gets plenty of sunlight. Don't give it any nitrogen fertilizer, only phosphate. Prune it in the Spring like you would an apple tree, cutting all of the vines back to a couple of buds. Mid-summer, cut the vines back by a third to a half. Some people root prune and/or strike the lower area of the vines hard with a garden hose or something similar to stress the plant, which sometimes forces it to bloom. The best remedy is to plant an American Variety which blooms on new wood. I have grown the "Blue Moon" Variety because of it's extreme hardiness. I had blooms on the 1 gallon plants that I purchased on-line. Here is the picture of it in it's second year. This year it is now covered with flower buds and is just starting to bloom.

Bookmark   June 7, 2009 at 11:38PM
More Discussions
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™