English Ivy

fairfield8619(Zone 8 NW LA)June 14, 2012

Will all ivy climb eventually, even the miniture varieties? I want some to climb the brick wall of my house but don't want the normal big wamping kind that tend to take over. The minis seem really neat.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oliveoyl3

Yes., especially in your climate should survive winter and keep on growing.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 12:49PM
JamieAshley

I live in a semi~detached home in Ontario, Canada. Our neighbour plant Ivy a number of years ago. Last year this plant started coming through the fence, also, it is growing along the aluminium siding and along the eaves through. Yesterday I pulled all that I could reach off the wall. I then took a razor blade and scraped the "suckers" off the wall and ended up washing the entire back wall of our 2 story home. My questions is this: How do I prevent this from growing back on our side of the house?
Thank you.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 12:36AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Firstly, is it definitely Ivy? Hedera helix, common ivy, doesn't have suckers it has aerial rootlets. Suckers, ie little sticky pads, sounds more like a Parthenocissus of some sort eg Virginia Creeper or Boston Ivy. Ivy is evergreen, the Parthenocissus are deciduous.

You can't prevent it other than trimming it the minute it creeps onto your territory. Or you could try negotiating with the neighbour about removing the whole thing.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 4:48AM
More Discussions
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™