Tomato Planting

plynpoolMay 22, 2012

Is is possible to plant more than one tomato at a time in one spot and also can there be more than one planted in a container.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dickiefickle(5B Dousman,Wi.)

Usually its one plant ,one container. I suppose if you had a super large container like 20 gallons or more .
You can plant as many at a time as you like .Not sure what that means.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 12:36AM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Is is possible to plant more than one tomato at a time in one spot

Most tomatoes are large (i.e. broad) plants, unless you prune heavily (some people prune to one stem or two). Obviously, the fewer stems, the less fruit, so the only reason for pruning heavily is lack of space.

If you had two varieties and only had space for one plant, you could plant them in the same hole. They would need more water, fertilizer, etc., and they probably wouldn't be happy. Unless the two varieties had very different fruit, you might have difficulty recognizing which variety you were eating.

Last year I bought a Black Krim seedling. It was actually two plants in one pot; I think I wasn't aware of that when I planted it -- just thought it was one plant with a sucker (one of the terms for a tomato branch) growing from the underground part of the stem (I had other seedlings like that). But when the plant bore two kinds of fruit it was obviously two plants -- and at that point I began giving them extra water and fertilizer. They were crowded and not real happy, and the BK died before the end of the season.

can there be more than one planted in a container

Raybo/rnewste puts two tomato plants in his homemade rectangular Earth-tainers, which have a total growing medium of 24 gallons -- so 12 gallons per plant.

Now if you were growing dwarf varieties, you wouldn't need as much space or as large a container.

So in other words, everything depends on how much room you have, which varieties you're growing, and how large the containers are.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 2:18AM
jeffwul

Even big containers, you'd have to heavily prune if they are indeterminates. My 17 gallon is already filled up by my Brandy Boy

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
Brandy Boy Contest -2015
I propose a "Brandy Boy Contest" for 2015...
hudson___wy
Pinetree Garden Seed Company for Cuostralee
Is Pinetree Garden Seed a reliable source for tomato...
matthias_lang
Baby tomatoes with yellowing leaves
My tomatoes plants are about 5 weeks old. They have...
libraryannie
Solo Cups vs Ribbed Pots
Cost factor is in favor of the cups, especially if...
hoosier40 6a Southern IN
Container size for tomatos
I'm considering some of the larger tomato plants. How...
jrh02139
Sponsored Products
Tom Dixon | Pressed Glass Pendant - Tube
YLiving.com
Algreen ErgoGarden Elevated Garden Bed Planting System - 32002
$149.99 | Hayneedle
Fosters Point 7 Foot Blue Agave Without Container
Beyond Stores
Perennial Face Cloth - CORAL (PINK) (FACE TOWEL)
$11.90 | Horchow
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs
$32.00 | Home Depot
Pink Poppies Doormat
Cost Plus World Market
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™