Question#1: Vines for chain link fence

Laurel6123(6)June 6, 2011

I'm looking for vines for two separate locations; Posting separate 'messages' for clarity.

I have a stretch of chain link (4'H x approx 60+'L) that I'd like to cover with a vine (or vines). I have very little experience with vines-limited to clematis, and they're not terribly happy (they ARE young, so maybe they'll do better next year).

In addition to the vines, I'll have a cl Cecile Bruner (unless I get talked out of it by the veteran rosarians) and a few Belindas Dream shrub roses as well (those are a definite).

I'm hoping for some advice from experienced vine-keepers.

The soil/location/etc is sandy with a regular top dressing of compost; welldrained, and rather dry, although it will be watered w/ drip irrigation. Full sun (eg, blistering. Zero shade.)

-I like the look of wisteria, hesitant because I've heard the horror stories.

-Ditto with trumpet vine. Very pretty, but too many horror stories.

Pondering silver lace vine; Perhaps an akebia quinata if I can find it? Other than clematis, I don't know much about the vines, except that I don't really want a Mafioso in my yard-a vigorous grower is okay, provided it won't eat the neighborhood.

Will Wisteria (Am, not Jap.) pull down a chain link fence or smother a rose?

I'm avoiding grapes because of the yellowjackets-I also have a fig tree in the front yard, and I'd prefer to NOT be overrun with them).

Viginia Creeper was suggested, but something is telling me it too can be a tad-overbearing, can it not? I know nothing about it, I just have a hunch.

I don't particularly care if it's evergreen-I have english ivy already in my yard (dare I say I actually LIKE the looks of ivy?) but I don't know if I am brave enough to encourage it to grow where I want roses-I suspect it may smother them.)

Any advice/suggestions/warnings of destruction?

Thanks so much!

Laurel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Laurel6123(6)

Another I'm pondering is honeysuckle-thoughts?

Thanks!

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 12:38PM
lisanti07028(z6NJ)

How deep do you envision the vine? That is,is there a limit to how far from the fence, front to back, the plant can go? I have one of the Lonicera sempervirens named varieties, and it sticks away from the fence at least a foot in each direction. The native wisteria isn't quite as exuberant, but the tendrils do go several feet and have to be woven in. I also have Pipevine, which really wants to go UP, not sideways, so I'd skip that if I were you.

I think of Virginia Creeper as a wannabe thug - not up to the Asian wisterias, but not particularly well-behaved.

Would the native bittersweet work? You'd need male and female plants.

I love the sempervirens - it blooms until November, and is the most reliable hummingbird-bait I've got.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 9:33PM
bettytwo

white potato vine has white flowers and a fragrance. Clings well to fence and does crawl. Also gets bushy. Humingbirds seem to like it. Then theirs our pink jasmine growing on our chain link fence. This one I love. but having a hard time growin sideways for some reason. Does not get very bushy like the white potato. Pink Jasmine I feel has a sweet stronger smell.

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
Wysteria
does all Wysteria spread in a vine like fashion? I...
marial1214
Will disturbing roots inhibit flowering of Confederate Jasmine ?
I have a large confederate jasmine (trachelospermum...
peterk312
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
Sponsored Products
Modern Style Table Lamp with Cylinder Wood Fences Shade
ParrotUncle
Dry Location Mounting Flange for LED Light
$14.00 | Lamps Plus
Wrought Iron Garden Fence Edging
Overstock.com
Vinyl Works Solar Light Kit for Above Ground Pool Fence - 4 Pack - NA424T
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Emsco Cape Cod Garden Border Section - 18 Pack - 2120DS
$34.99 | Hayneedle