Wild honeysuckle...or something else?

cadillactasteJune 10, 2013

We have a raised gazebo...I would like to do trellis work to hide the long poles. This being said I am not sure what to grow. We've grown Honeysuckle-Pink Tatarian on the back pergola and trellis. I'm just not happy with how long it has taken to establish...we've wild honeysuckle all over our hill side. I am curious since it grows well here...if I would have more success planting that on our gazebo trellis...or something else.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cadillactaste

At least that is what I think we're growing in the backyard. It resembled the photo I seen online... and the color of ours.

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 1:49PM
cadillactaste

Trying to learn how to grow a starting off what we have on the hill. (Taking over a cherry tree and everything else in its wake) I read that it is not something one wants to grow in a garden. Someone had tried 7 years to get rid of what she planted originally!

So does anyone know of a fragrant vine? That is fast growing...should I start another post topic for that?

Bookmark   June 10, 2013 at 9:56PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

cadillactaste - Tartarian Honeysuckle is a shrub not a vine which might explain why it is not climbing as you wish. How about one of the Lonicera sempervirens cultivars or hybrids? They are N American natives and not invasive like Japanese Honeysuckle. However, not all are fragrant so you need to check. The 'wild honeysuckle' you have all over your hillside may well be the invasive alien species, Lonicera japonica.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 1:45PM
cadillactaste

Posted by flora_uk SW UK 8/9 (My Page) on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 13:45
cadillactaste - Tartarian Honeysuckle is a shrub not a vine which might explain why it is not climbing as you wish. How about one of the Lonicera sempervirens cultivars or hybrids? They are N American natives and not invasive like Japanese Honeysuckle. However, not all are fragrant so you need to check. The 'wild honeysuckle' you have all over your hillside may well be the invasive alien species, Lonicera japonica.

Well I was only looking at the color of bloom...my bad. Ours is a vine. I should post a photo of it maybe...just taking forever to become established.
I'll look into the ones you mentioned...thanks.

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 5:01PM
eclecticcottage(6b wny)

Goldflame might work, it is scented and non-invasive. It tends to get powdery mildew though, or so I've read. I only got mine this year, so not a lot of experiance with it.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
Best evergreen (in zone 6b) vine to cover fence?
Hi, I'm new here. We bought a house late last summer,...
HollyAnnM
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™