Climbing Vine that wont damage brick house

melissa402June 24, 2007

Help!!!! I've heard that ivy will damage the mortar on a brick house. I'm looking for an evergreen/semi-evergreen vine that will climb the brick on the front of my house without damaging it. Putting up some sort of wire for it to cling to is not out of the question but I really would rather not. The area I am trying to fill-in is very high so it would be difficult for me to prune on a regular basis. I live in zone 6. I'm not concerned whether the vine flowers or not. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. Thanks!

Melissa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
julia(z8a)

IF YOUR MORTAR IS IN GOOD SHAPE, most self clinging vines will not damage the brick. Choose a well behaved vine suitable for the location (you didn't give us info on sun/shade/moist/dry, etc.). Keep it trimmed away from window frames and the roof eaves. The bricks will be unsightly if the vine is removed and you will need to use a wire brush or a small sander to clean the surface. Or, you will need to build a trellis or use mortar nails to install a twining vine as these are not self supporting. I would not let English ivy climb my house. In your zone, you will need to compromise on the evergreen criterion. You actually don't want wet areas against the house when it freezes - that will wreck the brick.

Bookmark   June 25, 2007 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
Vine recommendation
Can someone recommend a flowering vine which I can...
Radu.V
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™