Killing vines

katy1942(5)June 28, 2010

I have a lot of vines they are growing all over. Even climbing the trees next to my house. Is there a safe way to kill these vines without hurting the trees or the plants below them. I was advised to use Roundup but am not sure this is the way to go.

Please advise

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buddyrose

good luck killing anything vine like with Round Up. So many Vines are incredibly invasive. I'm ALWAYS shooting round up when I see their ugly little snake like heads popping thru my mulch only to find 3 more the next day.

As far as wrapping around trees or coming up thru perennials, those I always use a hand shovel to get under them a bit and then pull them out so I don't damage the plants.

It seems like a never ending process: killing vines... ugh.

Bookmark   June 30, 2010 at 8:30AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Katy, what are the vines? Knowing which you are dealing with would give us a better idea how to remove them.

Bookmark   July 3, 2010 at 12:27AM
zettie

I think the original settlers in my neighborhood thought it would be great to plant wisteria and trumpet vine. I killed a main wisteria plant in my yard using rock salt. Now I battle wisteria on one side of my fence and trumpet vine from the other, and daily I battle the up shoots coming in my garden. My current form of killing is bleach in a spray bottle spraying directly on the leaves. I thought this fall when it all goes dormat I would form a full attack. Any thoughts?

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 8:13AM
More Discussions
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny 7a
Bittersweet Vines
How do you tell if you have female or male bittersweet...
litakb
Grapes on trees
Before I start, let me be clear: My goal here is not...
tjasko
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™