worms are looking unhealthy

damia(7)July 22, 2011

For the last few weeks I've noticed that some of my worms are looking strange. They are yellowish and are slightly misshapen. All of the healthier looking ones have a blue-purple tint that I have not noticed previously. I've been feeding them primarily cut up fruit, and their bedding is newspaper. Are these colors normal? Or should I be worried?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PeterK2

Mine change colour depending on where I find them :). If they are on the top, usually nice red and round. If I'm digging down I can find some ones with flat bottoms (due to pressure), pale undersides on top of other stuff etc. As long as they aren't dead and seem active I don't worry.

If you've been doing mostly fruit, can you toss some crushed eggshells in, could be getting a little acidic. But can't go wrong with bedding, clean bedding is always an escape for them if something is wrong. When in doubt, bedding ;)

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 3:51PM
damia(7)

I put some crushed eggshells in a few weeks ago, but they don't seem to be going anywhere. I've also been putting in a lot of extra bedding to keep the moisture down. Thanks for easing my fears. :)

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 8:14PM
equinoxequinox

You may have two varities of worms, a purple/blue and a yellow flat tail. At different times one may have a greater population than the other. As long as they are all working for you. Egg shells never do seem to disappear. I can't figure out why the planet is not covered in them.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
For what its worth
I have two inside bins one homemade and one factory...
hummersteve
Greens vs Browns
I've done standard compost for a while now and I just...
duaroger
how fragile are worms?
I was harvesting vc and really had put some force into...
chazz1100
Food stock variety
Found this online in a university research paper on...
charitycomposter
The church is not a stone building, but a group of people with legs.
Really long leg, whereas, worms have none. They would...
equinoxequinox
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™