Can I Use Potting Soil Again

SeededJune 22, 2013

I planted 4 Husky Cherry Tomato plants in 15 gallon containers. I used organic potting soil and organic tomato fertilizer. The plants all have wilted leaves (with some yellowing on the lower leaves of each plant). They perk up a little, at certain times, but for the most part they look shriveled. They have been in their pots for exactly a week.

I think it might be some kind of wilt (been reading on the internet). This is my first experience trying to grow food or anything in a container. I am thinking that the plants might be history. Can I reuse the soil in the pots with some new tomato plants? Everything I read talks about solarizing soil to kill everything, but I can't wait 6-8 weeks. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fireduck(10a)

S...usually any disease does not kill that fast. I would look hard at the amount of fertilizer you used...and what the water/moisture situation to your roots is. You might save them. Make sure pot drains well.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 9:19AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree. It sounds like the problem isn't a plant disease but what is in the containers. So putting new plants in will get the same results - burned roots.

Need to give us the exact name of the " organic potting soil and organic tomato fertilizer" used and how much of the fertilizer used. Also tell us how much and how often you watered them.

Dave

PS: including your garden zone or location would be a big help too.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 9:26AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

If the containers don't drain well the roots rot. I have pots with big holes that still get blocked sometimes. Lack of drainage is a common way to kill plants even those that like lots of water.
Organic does not mean good necessarily. I would want a little perlite in there for drainage and that is inorganic. Many soil less potting mixes already have some fertilizer.

If you live where it is hot and sunny and the tomatoes had been in a protected partly shaded area, you kill them putting them in direct sun and wind unless you do it gradually.

If people know where you live, they know what problems you face.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
Can a Cold Frame help Tomato plants get an early start?
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=438829066275054&set=vb.415805398577421&type=2&theater...
Randy L. Birth Sr.
Are You Germinating Yet ?
Now that you've got all the seeds and have decided...
seysonn
Pruning lower tomato branches
When the seedlings are established - we prune the lower...
hudson___wy
Hardening Off As A Prelude To Plant Out
Sooner or later (sooner is better :-)) , time will...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Seedless tomatoes
Has anyone tried the Burpee Sweet Seedless Hybbrid...
sonnyside
Sponsored Products
Terrene Zodiac Blend 1x3 Glass Tiles
$15.95 | TileBar
Crackled Scenic Panorama I Wall Art
$559.00 | FRONTGATE
Vierti Multi-Location Companion Switch
Lightology
Safavieh Anatolia AN553A 2'3" x 10' Green Rug
$202.50 | PlushRugs
Dutch Leather Sectional - Left Configuration
Zuri Furniture