Another newbie

jcurtis912July 10, 2012

This is my first venture into vermicomposting. So i have a rollaway trash can sitting in my backyard under a tree. Im in Socal, so the weather gets into the 80s at the hottest, and down to the 60's at the coldest (jealous much?).

I started off with newspaper all wet and crushed up for the bottom bedding, and i added some compost from the local organic garden with lots of bugs and other microbial life moving arouind into it. Now before reading in depth i added a bunch of oranges, and eggshells, and bunch of pasta, before realizing i shouldnt overfeed it. I added about 1250 worms and 2 weeks later, all the oranges and lemons i was worried about are completely gone.

So i checked on my bin today, moved around a bit of the material, and there are plenty of worms happy, responsive, and wriggling. I checked under the bin today, where i drilled holes for drainage, and i saw about 8-10 worms in the dirt, along with 7 to 8 babies. I immediately panicked and got a spoon, and put them back in the bin.

So my question is, did i overeact? I understand there will be a small amount of worms trying to escape. But is 10 worms too many? And should the fruit disappear that fast? I mean i put like 5 whole cut up oranges in there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sbryce_gw

Don't panic about 10 worms. The best thing you did when you started your bin was the compost. Worms love that stuff. The fruit went pretty fast, but I would take it as a sign that what you are doing is working. I'm going to guess that the compost got things going quickly.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 4:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dowbright(z6 in Missouri)

Ten worms out of the amount you put in is NOTHING! Sounds like you're doing great.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 12:25AM
More Discussions
Worm illness / worms are dying
Hi there, I have a serious problem with my worm bin: Same...
Horst Knotter
Starting large scale HM worm beds
Finally got the first of many loads hauled, door to...
nexev - Zone 8b
Seed Swap
Due to Garden Web being houzz and everybody being unhappy,...
equinoxequinox
Worms and Burlap
I understand there have been many posts on burlap....
hummersteve
worms dying in one of my bins
Some of my worms are dying in one of my bins. It isn't...
sbryce_gw
Sponsored Products
Canto Chrome One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Bicolor Green and
$180.00 | Bellacor
American Drew Antigua Dining Buffet - ADL4361
Hayneedle
Thomas O'Brien Batik Ring Area Rug
FRONTGATE
Silva Blown Glass Tech Lighting MonoRail Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Oggetti | San Marco Small 12V Pendant Light
$434.00 | YLighting