My Moonflower Doesn't Smell Like I Thought It Would...

lafleuriste(5 western NY)June 20, 2009

I got my first moon flower blossom tonight. I began these seeds in February, and have been eagerly awaiting the creamy white blooms and heavenly scent I keep hearing of...I even felt like ordering a drumroll, Clark Griswold-style before bending down to smell the flower.

It doesn't smell like much of anything. Well, if I stick my nose right in, I catch a faint whiff of something that smells like plastic.

Even worse, I think it's just me. My husband says he can smell it and that it smells like a really good air freshener.

What's wrong with my nose? I'm so bummed. I'll keep sniffing the blooms as they open this summer, but I'm starting to think I don't have the can-smell-moonflowers gene.

Just letting off some steam...thanks for your sympathy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carrie B(6B/7A)

A few weeks ago, my boss commented about how "fragrant" Scotch broom is. I looked at her and said "are you being sarcastic?" I hate the smell! Funny how different things smell good or bad to each of us. I like the smell of moonflowers.

Bookmark   June 21, 2009 at 1:49PM
msbatt

My mom loves the scent of moonflowers, but I can't smell them AT ALL. On the other hand, I like the scent of privet hedge blooms, but she thinks they smell like dirty socks.

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 2:00AM
october17(5chgo)

Wow! How'd you get the thing to bloom so early? What kind of sun does it get?

I never have blooms til Sept. I just figured it bloomed based on day length or something.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 8:32AM
ron_convolvulaceae

How many of you who can't smell moomflowers are cigarette smokers (?)
There are no 2 people that have the same exact sense of smell or taste , although tobacco cigarette smoking (or chewing tobacco) and taking certain medication can definitely reduce / alter both the sense of smell and taste...both of which are a type of chemo-reception...

Just some aspects to consider...

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 2:55PM
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Lafleuriste, one thought. Maybe when your plant has a few blooms open at once the scent will be more intense and then you'll be able to smell it. I hope I'll be able to smell mine when it blooms. I know that sometimes all those write ups on those seed packets about how a plant blossoms will smell your entire yard are sort of hype.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 11:52PM
lafleuriste(5 western NY)

Thanks, all. I'm hanging on to hope that I'll be able to smell the subsequent blooms! I've never smoked, so I don't think it's that. I agree that to my nose, privet hedges or boxwood (something that grows in the South) really stinks, like msbatt said of her mom, so maybe it's just my own individual sense of smell.

I have sweet peas to console me though, blooming in lovely pinks and purples and they smell delightful - Old Spice variety.

October17: I started these moon flower seeds way back in February and had been growing them under lights for the remainder of the winter. By the time I planted them out, they were already a few feet tall. I'd read that if I want blooms all summer (here in my northern climate), I'd better start way early!

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 11:17AM
msbatt

I've never been a smoker, but my mom smoked for 50 years. (And she can smell a gnat fart in a hurricane!) I do, however, have some serious sinus problems.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 6:43PM
More Discussions
Anyone grow Lavender Falls Betty Tam Wisteria?
Just bought a smaller one of these yesterday. Was looking...
kingcobbtx9b
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
What is going on with this pothos plant?
I bought a beautiful verigated pothos a few weeks ago...
Avantika
Pruning
Need to do a hard prune on my hybrid honeysuckle vine....can...
Pam Merrill
Getting hops and honeysuckles to climb tall smooth posts?
I've got some vigorous hops vine, and so far less big...
fireweed22
Sponsored Products
Crystorama Paris Flea Market Mini Chandelier - 12W in. Dark Rust - 5823-DR
$170.00 | Hayneedle
Zen Wall Sconce
Lightology
Trac-Master T340 Flat Back Cylinder MR16 Track Light with Magnetic Transformer
LBC Lighting
Nova Merton Espresso Arc Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
New 7' Octagon Hand Knotted Wool Crimson-Ivory Super Kazak Oriental Rug H4089
BH Sun Inc