Jasmine at Wal-Mart (Questions)

moonwolf_gwJune 23, 2010

Hi everyone,

The local Wal-Mart has large pots of jasmine for sale. The trouble is I don't know if it's a true jasmine or if it's stephanotis. When I was there before, the flowers had faded to pink and didn't have any scent. Tonight, when I was there, it had white flowers. I picked up a flower that had broken off and it was very fragrant! Was this jasmine I saw or stephanotis? Has anyone else seen these at their Wal-Mart? The only jasmine I seen that would be potentially hardy enough to my zone would be poet's jasmine. Anybody out there successfully grow jasmine in zone 6?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

It was probably a jasmine of some type. Maybe Jasminum polyanthum. Stephanotis blooms don't turn pink. Stephanotis foliage is thick, rigid and shiny. The flowers are thick as well. It looks kind of like a type hoya foliage (I don't remember which one). Most jasmines are easy to care for and easy to get to bloom. Not so much a stephanotis. Both smell wonderful.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 11:46PM
moonwolf_gw

Hi Karyn,

I do think it was a jasmine that I did see. Is polyanthum the only jasmine that the flowers turn pink? If I had room for it, I would buy it, but I don't.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   June 24, 2010 at 12:04PM
jojosplants(9/ Tucson, Az.)

Hi Brad,
I got some Jasmine from wal mart, called Jasmine polyanthum, aka Winter Jasmine.

The buds look pink, but the flowers are more of a white color.

Very fragrant!

JoJo

Bookmark   July 1, 2010 at 10:25PM
sandyl(Zone 6B -7)

I purchased two Jasmine at Lowes several years ago and neither survived the winter here in Tenn Zone 7. Make sure it is labled for your zone is about all I can recommend.

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 2:42PM
moonwolf_gw

When I was there again yesterday, I read on the tag that it is not cold hardy. I was there again today and the bud that was opening was pure white. I do not have the room to grow it inside or outside for that matter. It's growth is more vinelike than shrublike. They are not on supports and are in one gallon pots.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Bookmark   July 2, 2010 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
Vine for shaded area
Hello! I am looking for a fast growing vine for my...
MiniHamsters
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™