Boston Ivy vs. Virginia Creeper????

matersingardenJune 27, 2008

I have a new wood (solid) fence which is 20+ feet long, that is calling for a vine. I'm thinking of either Virginia Creeper or Boston Ivy. What is the best for summer and fall both? They are so close but are so different. Does Boston Ivy fill in more complete?

Which one do I choose?????????

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebars(7 MD)

Virginia Creeper is invasive, and the roots will crawl just underground. Don't think it will behave nicely and stick to just the fence.

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 7:50AM
thistle(ontario 5b)

I have 120 square feet of fenced back yard which needed to be covered quickly because of a neighbouring swimming pool. I decided to use Virginia creeper.This stuff grows like wildfire and covered the fence beautifully.Unfortunately it has become a bit of a rogue and wants to travel even further along the ground and into my flower beds.I am continually ripping it up,and also thinning it out on top.It is VERY vigorous so be careful if you plan to use this as a cover. I am sure my neighbours hate me because of this vine.I may be moving soon,and the poor people who inherit this will hate me too.

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 11:23PM
MariposaTraicionera(7)

I have no idea which type I have, but it seems really hardy and has covered an area I didn't know what to plant in. Now I am getting scared because it's up the tree and on the fence and covered the ground well, but maybe it's too much of a good thing?

Are ALL Ivy plants like that?

Bookmark   July 5, 2008 at 7:02PM
More Discussions
Vine Trellis in Back yard
We just moved into a new house in January, now that...
zoemaura
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
Creeping Fig Question
I'm wanting to grow creeping fig up the wall of a two...
Sow_what? Southern California Inland
Anyone grow Lavender Falls Betty Tam Wisteria?
Just bought a smaller one of these yesterday. Was looking...
kingcobbtx9b
Pruning
Need to do a hard prune on my hybrid honeysuckle vine....can...
Pam Merrill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™