worm composting ehh?

crappygardner23July 25, 2008

ok guys,i just came across this and it sounds really cool.could somebody fill me in on what exactly ya'll are doing and how its done,i'd like to get started on it but what type of bin do i make,materials to compost,and what type of worms do i buy?and please take it easy on me,after all i am a crappy gardner!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squeeze(z8 BC)

your best bet is to do some simple searches of this forum and start reading, hard to give ya a "short course" in one post, when we don't even know if you're listening

the most common bin is a 17 gallon Rubbermaid tub ....
bedding is wet shredded paper and cardboard ....
foodstock is your kitchen waste, as well as other misc. organic material ....
don't need to buy worms, dig in someones manure pile, check a garden with good rich soil, look under leaf litter, or put a 'wanted' in your local freecycle or craigs list

the usual type is called Eisenia Foetida or red wrigglers, and you'll be more successful if you learn a bit about how worms work and the conditions they need to thrive


    Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 11:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

thanks bill.so i geuss any earth worms will do?

    Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 10:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squeeze(z8 BC)

"earthworm" covers a lot of species - the more commonly used Eisenia Foetida is easy to find in organic-rich environments, the European Nightcrawler [or Canadian] will work but not as well IMO, and is the one you'd find living in average soil and leaving small humps of soil when they surface .... Nichtcrawlers are what will usually be sold as fishing worms, Eisenia as composting worms


    Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 1:08AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi Bill! Just to clarify European Nightcrawlers are a composting worm (Eisenia hortenses)(old name Dendrobenia venetta). Canadian nightcrawlers are (Lumbricus terrestris) the true nightcrawler. It feeds at night during times of dampness. They are called Lob/Dew worms in Europe. So when we speak/write about a worm its best to use the latin name in conjuntion to common/local names.

    Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 5:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squeeze(z8 BC)

Eisenia HortensIs?

when I'm talking about what's found on the street [or store], to someone who doesn't know there are hundreds of "earthworm" species, a nightcrawler is a nightcrawler [even if sometimes called Dew worm], a red wriggler is a compost worm to a gardener, crappy or not :) I'll leave the Latin to the reference links

as I said, IMO any Nightcrawler [an "earthworm" found in soil habitats] isn't as good for vermiculture as red wrigglers, an "earthworm" found in areas very rich in organic materials, and requiring that habitat to survive


    Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 11:08PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Hi Bill, The reason for using the latin names is so that no confusion is conveyed. Geographic and local names can and most often are confusing. Take European Nightcrawler as an example! Google it and see what comes up. Is it a nightcrawler like the Lts or a red worm like the Fhs?

    Bookmark   July 28, 2008 at 6:30AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Paper shredders and corrugated cardboard
Thought I'd start a discussion on paper shredders versus...
RIP, Vermicomposting, once of the Garden Forums.
We were a viable entity. Evicted and thrown to the...
The church is not a stone building, but a group of people with legs.
Really long leg, whereas, worms have none. They would...
recent roamers
I've had 2 bins inside since last Oct. without any...
Coaching Others
Hello, experts! I have offered my sage advice for a...
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™