Shipping of Red Wiggler Worms

horticultureheidiJuly 3, 2008

I recently ordered the can-o-worms vermicomposter and I now need red wiggler worms. I have been unable to find them locally, so I will probably have to order them online. How concerned do I need to be about the worms not surviving the trip since it is July? I live in Wisconsin and the temps can range from 70-90 degrees. Thanks in advance for any advice! Also, if anyone can recommend a red wiggler seller near Wisconsin, that would be great.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
squeeze(z8 BC)

if someone is willing to ship to you, it'll usually work fine, the USPO knows how to handle things - more important is once you find some, get the setup ready before you order - worms settle in best if there's some microbially rich, actively decomposing material they can dive into, if there's not much interesting they'll wander or die off .... try a request on the nearest Freecycle to you, or any free ad paper serving your town, there'll be a gardener around who'll supply you with some for free or cheap

Bill

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 1:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kurtr(3)

Heidi,
If you don't have any luck on freecycle or Craig's list let me know and I will sell you some. I ship all over the states and all the worms have made it through transit in fine shape, even during the last heat wave.

Kurt

Bookmark   July 4, 2008 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
Worms for Raised Bed Garden
So I was digging in my raised bed gardens, which are...
susancol
Horse manure
Can I use fresh horse manure as bedding for my bin,...
machinist17
Red Mites Eat My Garbage
Yes, it's true. Red mites have taken over my worm bin...
remarkikkin
RIP, Vermicomposting, once of the Garden Forums.
We were a viable entity. Evicted and thrown to the...
chuckiebtoo
Houzz Rule(r)s
Today I received an official welcoming gift via the...
chuckiebtoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™