I'm being held hostage!

criticalmass048July 27, 2012

My wife and I have been terrorized by this... thing... for many years. It never occurred to me to ask for help here.

I don't know if what we have is a weed, a vine, an ivy, or a combination of the three. Basically, it's a very thin spaghetti-like thing that not only criss-crosses across the ground, but when it finds a plant or bush, like an azalea, rhododendron, and other things that only my wife can identify, it will wrap itself around the plant like a boa constrictor. It sprouts pretty little trumpet-like flowers which seem to die at night. This thing has not only somehow traveled from the front yard to the back, but it doesn't seem to affect the neighbors at all.

Now we DO also have some form of ivy growing as well. While I don't know a darned thing about gardening, it's been my theory that this vine and the ivy are related.

Yes, weed killer will work on it, however, due to the fact that it wraps itself around good plants, you have to be careful where you spray. I read a tip in a magazine that suggested filling a tube (like that you'd get included with a single rose to hold water) with weed killer, stick it in the ground, and put the end of the vine into it. This, however, doesn't get back to the root; it only kills about a foot of it.

I don't really care what it's called, I just want to know how to rid myself of it completely. Please see the attached picture. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Bindweed - yep, it's agressive! Just get out your scissors and start cutting and KEEP cutting, then get out the Roundup. It's pretty, when in bloom, but can take over an area. We have areas here in my town where this vine has covered BLOCKS of land!

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 7:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

It's a variety of Bindweed alright. Good luck getting rid of it. You have to dig up the underground tubers. Just killing off the above ground growth won't get rid of it. I have it growing in my azaleas and can't get to all the tubers. I've been fighting it for years.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 3:49PM
More Discussions
Pruning
Need to do a hard prune on my hybrid honeysuckle vine....can...
Pam Merrill
Wanting fast growing/spreading vine
My house is in the middle of an acre field. I want...
srks72
Lonicera sempervirens on house?
I just found 'Major Wheeler' and bought it before having...
northraleighguy
Anyone grow Lavender Falls Betty Tam Wisteria?
Just bought a smaller one of these yesterday. Was looking...
kingcobbtx9b
Will disturbing roots inhibit flowering of Confederate Jasmine ?
I have a large confederate jasmine (trachelospermum...
peterk312
Sponsored Products
Modern Fan Company | Altus Ceiling Fan
$280.00 | YLighting
Remer by Nameeks 339S Hand Held Shower Bracket - REMER 339S
$22.00 | Hayneedle
Welcome Sleeper Sofa and Welcome Sleeper Sectional Sofa Chaise
| Italy Design
Mosaic Tile: Merola Tile Flooring Academy White 11-3/4 in. x 11-3/4 in. x 5 mm
$9.97 | Home Depot
Glacier One-Light Bath Fixture
$56.00 | Bellacor