Re: trellis (not?) for honeysuckle

sarosenJuly 10, 2006

I have a honeysuckle vine that I am wanting to grow up about

6-7 feet (vertically) and then spread out horizontally onto a trellis that runs across the top of the (high) fence.

I had planted this vine some years back, and let two or three vines twist around themselves until it got up to 7 feet, and then let it spread out. Over the years (15 or so), these lower vines grew into each other, making a "trunk" about 2 inches in diameter. Winter before last, the whole thing up and died!! Last year, a few (hooray!!) vines re-emerged, and now they are ready to re-train. My question: Should I just do the same thing? Was letting it twine around itself part of why it died? The vines grew so thick (about 2 inches in diameter), I hesitate to train them onto an ordinatry trellis, as it would overwhelm the trellis. I was thinking of trying to training three vines to grow up in a sort of fan shape, but that would mean trying to force the vine to grow straight for the 6-7 feet, against its natural tendency to twist and twine. Thoughts? Ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

They grow naturally by twining around each other and into nearby shrubs and trees as a support. Yours didn't really "die" if new vines sprouted from the roots, although you apparently lost the top. There may have been borers or something else that got into the main trunks.

You could try training them as a fan by perhaps making temporary supports (of wood) that can eventually be removed once they vines are strong enough to stand on their own. If you don't want them to twine around the support for the initial height you want, tie them so they lay straight.

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 1:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doc_stewart_gmail_com

I am totally new to all this and wonder just how to train a honeysuckle. I have it in a large pot on our deck with a 7' fan trellis in the pot and against a wall of our house. I think my main question is, can I just cut vines at random until I have only the ones I wish to climb the trellis left? Also, once it reaches the height and shape I want which shouldn't take very long the way it is growing...can I just keep topping it off? Also, can the same be done with Clematis?
Thanks much for your input.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
Vine for shaded area
Hello! I am looking for a fast growing vine for my...
MiniHamsters
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
Vine recommendation
Can someone recommend a flowering vine which I can...
Radu.V
Umbrella trellis project, Mexican Flame vine
I have wanted to use an old patio umbrella frame as...
halfwaythere
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™