Prepping Vines For House Painting

suntower(z5 WA)July 29, 2013

Hi,

I'm painting my house. Several areas are covered by some really nice vines and I was hoping that I could sort of fold them away from the house to paint. It would take years for them to re-grow. If I do need to cut them, how far back can I cut without killing.
a) 10 yr old. purple (Japanese?) Wisteria.

b) 8 yr old Clematis Almondia. 20 feet long.

c) 2 8 yr grape vines I trained against a wall.

Anyhoo, I just want to take them off the walls, bend them out of the way and re-hang. If I break them, will they re-grow?

TIA,

---JC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Yes, they will re-grow.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 8:37PM
Susan249PA(6b)

Hi, wondering what kind of siding you have on your house?
When it is time to try to place the surviving vines back against the house, you may want to consider a lattice panel painted the same color as your house. if the trellis has been mounted to the house in a way that you can 'unhook' the lattice for future maintenance, it will save all future vines. Be sure to put some spacers behind the lattice so that it is not sitting flat against the wall but rather keeps the lattice about 1/2" ro 1" away from the house siding.

Cheers,
Susan

Bookmark   August 6, 2013 at 11:00PM
suntower(z5 WA)

OK, I'm done painting. Two questions...
1. I took down the clematis almondia (over 20' long) and the Wisteria (also 20' ) and painted, but re-hanging isn't possible. The best I can do is put a section of each of these on a 5' trellis. Is it better to either:

a) cut it all down to the ground and let it re-grow from scratch or

b) just cut it back to 5' and hang that on the trellis.

...The thing is that the 1st 5' of the thing is woody. My concern is that if I use the 'b' option, it won't re-grow.

IOW: Will it grow new leaves from the wood, or does it have to re-grow from the base?

It looks like the Wisteria could be done this way, but it looks like the clematis needs to start from scratch.

I'm especially concerned since it's now September and I was told years ago that pruning @ the end of summer 'reduces vigor'. Well I want these to re-grow as fast as possible.

Ideas?

TIA,

---JC

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 4:11AM
More Discussions
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
Sweet Autumn Clematis on Ornamental Wire Trellis
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny 7a
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™