Crossvine is not growing and is chlorotic

Rochelle999July 31, 2012

Hello, My Bignonia capreolata (crossvine) has not grown at all this year only shooting out a few leaves. The newest leaves are chlorotic (pale yellow leaves with green veins). Last January I severely pruned it down to about 12 inches per stem. I have watered it at least 4-5 times/week & its root zone also receives water as it's next to the lawn (cause of chlorosis?). I have never fertilized it. Questions: I've read from a website that this plant has a "life expectancy" of around 8 years. Has anyone ever heard/experienced this? I read the purple passion vine has a left expectancy of only 3 to 5 years. This plant is 5 years old. I was thinking of moving it to a container this fall to control its watering. What do y'all think? Rochelle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bgp_123

My first thought is that it needs iron. I live in San Angelo and I know you have not had a lot of rain and I would bet that you are watering with very "hard" water. Contact me sometime when you come this way and I will give you some 138FE. I have had my crossvine much longer than 8 years.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Anyone grow Lavender Falls Betty Tam Wisteria?
Just bought a smaller one of these yesterday. Was looking...
kingcobbtx9b
Back yard vineyard slope material
We planted a vineyard with three rows of grapes a year...
jcoburn532
What Type Of Vine Is This?
Hey everyone! Would anyone happen to know what kind...
Matt Conner
Creating a Green Wall
So in the midst of a 12 inch of snowfall today I'm...
new_gardener_2010
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™