New Gardener, Couple Questions on Morning Glories

AshleyGJuly 7, 2013

I'm trying to create a privacy screen between me and my neighbor using the morning glory as it climbs up some twine. I currently have about 2 vines per twine. My question is, should it only be one vine per twine? Should I pinch some back? And does one vine spread out into many "reachers" creating new vines off of the original? I didn't want to pinch them back if the single vine wasn't going to spread out, but don't want them to tangle themselves either

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerris2

I've not tried the twine before. Let us know how it goes. There can be some weight from the vine biomass so I hope it is sturdy twine.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 7:58AM
AshleyG

I've had them planted for about 3 weeks now, they are doing great! Climbing up the twine just beautifully with little to no help from me. I will probably end up taming the "new grabbers" (I have no idea what you call them) that grow off any original vine, I am still scared they are going to end up waaaay to heavy.
I planted these before researching as much as I should have, I ended up using Miracle Grow Potting Mix (I have them in planters) before I knew about them not liking fertilizer. I can tell they probably won't bloom just because the leaves are SO big and I know it's from the fertilizer. I didn't expect much from them anyways since I was so late on planting, but as long as I have some large foilage to block out my neighbor, I'm good!

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 11:16AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Guidance is necessary to prevent these from going straight up, if that's your goal. For example, when a vine reaches the top, you can guide it back down, or sideways at any time. If you pinch off the growth tip, side shoots will form. A tangle may bother you, but it won't bother the vines.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 11:25AM
gerris2

Purpleinopp's advice is good.

I use Miracle Gro all the time to start my seedling transplant morning glories. I have never had an issue with the plants.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
Best evergreen (in zone 6b) vine to cover fence?
Hi, I'm new here. We bought a house late last summer,...
HollyAnnM
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™