Grapevine soil turned into a brick

purovargas(8)March 30, 2014

I just recently planted my grapevines in a soil mixture of 2 bags top soil, one bag of green sand and half a bag of peat hummus. I planted them yesterday and when I went today to check them I noticed that the soil on top exposed to the sun turned into a hard crust almost as hard as a brick so I dug down and the soil below was soft but the top part is hard. Does anyone know if I just ruined my grapevine? I put peat hummus on top to act as a mulch to keep the bottom soil moist but I am worried if we have a hot summer that the soil will turn into a brick.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Austin_Phytomaniac

You definitely want to mulch your grapevines. They'll bake if the soil is exposed to our unforgiving summer sun. However, peat moss and its derivatives break down quickly in this climate. Don't expect that peat mulch to last through the growing season. The same holds true for the peat in the soil mixture; it will last only a few months. If it's still possible to work amendments into the soil, coir (compressed coconut fiber) is excellent for moisture retention, and in Texas it has greater staying power than peat. I'd add a couple of inches of good compost to the surface to replenish the nutrients the soil microbes devour as our summer temperatures rise. Frequently replenishing this top dressing will keep the bricks at bay. Cover the top dressing with a dense layer of shredded bark mulch, e.g. cedar or hardwood, and your grapevines will be off to a good start.

Bookmark   April 2, 2014 at 6:53PM
Lin barkingdogwoods

I'm no expert, but that seems like too much greensand, which may explain your results. A 40-lb bag is used to topdress 1000 square feet...

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 9:01AM
DallasUrbanFarmer

Yes, that's too much greensand. Greensand is used as an amendment not as a soil. Sand + clay = brick.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 1:03AM
More Discussions
Texas Superstars - Hibiscus
All large plant nurseries, Lowes, HomeDepot, etc dont...
z36r
Did anyone's firecracker plant come back in zone 8?
It is such a pretty plant and spreads so fast, I think...
marti8a
I'm moving over here :) Castle looking house
Hi all! I recently posted pics over on the landscaping...
joannatmf
Plant thieves
Have any of you encountered plants being stolen right...
texaskittysa
HAVE: Ft Worth Spring Swap Trinity Park April 18
Okay, I know it's still January. technically. But the...
sylviatexas1
Sponsored Products
Old Dutch Antique Copper Heritage Charger Plates (Set of 6)
Overstock.com
Grapevine Queen-size 3-piece Duvet Cover Set
Overstock.com
New England Brown Leaves Garland
Grandin Road
Tile Murals: The Tile Mural Store Building Materials Evening in Tuscany 24 in.
Home Depot
Vineyard Bakers Rack with 1 Wood Shelf - 36VZ-BL-AB
$649.99 | Hayneedle
Belmont Mantel Swag
Grandin Road
Lloyd Flanders Vineyard Chaise Lounge Collection - FLAN585
Hayneedle
Forsythia Bush Decoration
$17.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™