Worm Cage Success!
Last March I posted about a worm cage I built as an experiment. A 3'x10' piece of 1/2" hardware cloth was fastened as a cylinder about 3' diameter. 4 layers of organic coffee-bean sacks lined the outside. More hardware cloth and thick cardboard layers as a floor. I added a milkcrate full of VC and worms to the center of the bin. Another milkcrate with kitchen scraps and cardboard was placed on top of the first crate. Manure-rich compost with thousands of native redworms was filled in around the crates. A RM bin was dumpped on top and it was covered with more burlap and 8" of straw.
I live in a very mild coastal climate and had regular rain into June. In mid July I tore the pile down. All VC was sifted in about an hour using a homade trommel stye tumble sifter. The material was 75% finished and I now have many worms. I got about 30 gal. of pure black castings for tea brewing. The rest and the worms went into a new BIGGER cage with fresh cold compost and lots of aged horse manure.
Worms finish my compost for me. 14 months of vermicomposting with about 2000 worm starter herd has expanded wildly. Luckily I started the worms BEFORE I got chickens and a horse. Good manure management!