Growing amaryllis outdoors in my area

ladysmith94(TX)March 9, 2011

I am interested in growing amaryllis outdoors here in West Texas Zone 7. Are they winter hardy here? I need good info and I am not finding any.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
whitecap

The Hardy Amaryllis, Hippeastrum johnsonii (pronounced jon Son ee eye, if you're wondering) is said to be hardy to zone 7. I had some years ago, and they survived about 8 years of total neglect. In an ill-advised moment, I removed them to make room for canna. I'll be planting a couple of replacements today. The bulbs are hard to come by. Upon advice from the helpful commentators on the Amaryllis forum, I found some at Southern Bulb Company. They were not cheap--all told, $40 for 2, inclusive of shipping and tax. These guys (a couple of Aggies) work quick. I had mine 2 days after placing the order. Now, and for the next few weeks, is supposed to be the best time for planting the bulbs.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 9:12AM
rock_oak_deer(8b TX)

I have several Red Lions and plant them out in spring and dig them up before the first freeze like a caladium. They produce nice blooms in spring this way.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 9:29AM
Lynn Marie

I have red ones that have been in the ground for 7 years in the DFW area. A little south of you, but not much. They bloom beautifully year after year. Last year I divided them and spread them out and gave some away. So far, only two have poked their heads up. I hope more come back soon!

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 11:15AM
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I have the large red ones (never knew the variety) that have been in the ground here for almost twenty years, and they come back each year and multiply very well. They are all up and loving the sunshine.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 4:27PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Try your search in the Amaryllis Forum where this topic is frequently discussed. See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Can amaryllis be grown outdoors?

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 10:02PM
ladysmith94(TX)

Thank you all for the helpful info.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap - Free
San Antonio Texas Garden Swap Join us on facebook for...
Gaia's Sacred Seeds
Early Birds ...
While Carrie's birds are trying to keep warm, mine...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Need help with a Houston full-sun bed
Hi there! I have a full-sun bed with miscanthus in...
olivesoil
Please name this succulent.
Bought from Lowes sale rack and it just had a generic...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™