Morning Glory leaves

AshleyGJuly 17, 2013

I had 2 packets of morning glory seeds. When I opened them, one packet had seeds that were drastically bigger than the other packet. I'm talking about 4 times the size difference. They were both the same, crimson rambler I believe. I was just wondering if these leaves look normally sized? This is my first year planting so I'm not sure what is normal and what's not. I planted them in mid June, not sure if they will have time to bloom and I planted them in pots using MIracle Grow Potting Mix, is that possibly another reason they are so big?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gerris2

They look very healthy. The flower show will start soon. I can't help with your questions, I'm very sorry.

This post was edited by gerris2 on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 16:56

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 4:54PM
ron_convolvulaceae

There may be a few Ipomoea purpurea in there , but most of those leaves look to be Ipomoea nil which tend to flower later than Ipomoea purpurea...

They look to be in relatively small or thin containers...wonder how much water they can hold onto (that cement can get hot and baking) and if the upper part of the 'trellis' is getting adequate sunlight...

The acquisition of any misidentified seeds contributes to myths about MG's because the person growing them doesn't really know what they have and are therefore somewhat working in the dark...

There will always be people who have grown improperly identified species = unknown species and then make all sorts of claims about being so experienced with the 'horrors' of MG's although most couldn't accurately ID even 1 species if their life depended on it and urban myths are created and perpetuated
e.g., (MG lesson of the day) there are Calystegia and Convolvulus species which do NOT spread by underground rhizomes...(!)...
So , not all Calystegia or Convolvulus species are 'bindweeds' but there are University Botany Department Heads that don't know that (!) , although they have 'professional' websites up to guide the ignorant 'amateur/ layperson '....

Make sure you get what you are supposed to get as per seeds ( try and be sure they actually know what they purport to know) and make sure you get an accurate ID by someone who really knows how to tell the difference between the plethora (i.e. thousands !) of different species...

Hope some of that helps...

regards,

Ron

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 3:42PM
gerris2

You'll have flowers soon. Maybe the 3 pointed leaves are Scarlett O'Hara, you'll know once you see the flowers. I can't wait to see the flowers!

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 12:58PM
gerris2

I personally love watching the leaves on morning glory varieties. They are a beautiful way to appreciate the plant while waiting for the flowers.

Look at the leaves on this one I'm growing this year.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 6:45AM
ron_convolvulaceae

Joseph - You mentioned :

"They are a beautiful way to appreciate the plant while waiting for the flowers. "

Well, I couldn't have said it better myself (!)

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 7:24AM
AshleyG

I agree! Is that a "verigated" leaf? And if so, what does that mean, the white on it?

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 9:12AM
gerris2

Yes this is a variegated leaf. The variegated part of the leaf is the pale parts of the leaf. There are some leaves that have a lot of white patches, with little chlorophyll left. These plants I've been told tend not to thrive well because of the lack of chlorophyll.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Climbing Evergreen Vine for Zone 7A
I'm in Nashville, TN and would love an evergreen vine...
chelseapetaja
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
spacing for coral honeysuckle grown against a trellis
Hello! I know that vines trained up a vertical surface...
Kristin
Vigna Carracella seeds.
Have seeds available for Vigna Carracella. (Snail...
barry2008
Sponsored Products
Cairo Canister
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Kalora Milano Leaves II Frieze Rug-3367/2V01 160230
Beyond Stores
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Imperial Collection Antique Bronze 1-light H
Home Depot
Curvy Paintable Wallpaper
Grandin Road
Currey and Company Renaissance Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
16-Oz. Lemon Verbena Dish Soap
$5.99 | zulily
Alloy Weathered Leather 1/2 X 1/2 Glass And Marble Tiles
$15.95 | TileBar
Graham & Brown Large Scrolling Leaf Wallpaper - 15069
$30.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for: