Ground Nut; Apios americana.

ruthzJuly 10, 2012

I'm growing one of these from seed and would like any information on it before planting in the yard.

Especially if it's invasive and hard to get rid of.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

Ruth, I grow it in a 25-gallon pot and have to cut it back constantly. I only grow it to harvest seeds for trading. The flowers are insignificant, imho. If it gets out of control, cut it off and hit it with Roundup.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 8:55PM
karyn1(7a)

Kay I can't believe that you think the flowers are insignificant. I think they're beautiful and actully grow it for the blooms. It's also a host plant for skipper butterflies. I have it both in the garden and in a large container. It can get kind of out of control in the yard but I have deep barriers in the garden to keep it from escaping. Why bother growing it from seed? It's so much easier to start it from a tuber and they reproduce like mad underground. The tubers are edible and I might try cooking some this fall. They are supposed to be similar to a potato.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 1:20PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

Karyn, let me re-phrase my statement:

In MY yard, the blooms are insignificant - they are sparse and about the size of my pinky finger nail. I had no idea they had tubers. People ask for the seeds and I often have them - again, the only reason I grow it.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 8:26PM
karyn1(7a)

I'm surprised they are so sparse. I grow mine in very poor soil but I do give them quite a bit of water. Most of the tubers are marble size and towards the ends of the roots but there's several good size tubers close to the base of the plant. I think those are the ones you are supposed to eat. I have't tried them yet. I use the smaller tubers start new plants. They were a staple food of many of the native Americans.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 9:43PM
Joe2012

Hello All,
I have ordered ground nut tubers to plant in my garden, which is beside a creek. I am hoping that they do well, but I have one problem, MOLES! I have tilled up the spot where I am going to plant the tubers and they love to forage through newly turned ground searching for grubs and other insects. At least that is what I've heard. I found a tunnel leading to and from my sage plant which also a perrenial. I also heard that moles do not eat plants but can destroy their root system by the burrowing that is done in search of food. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on this? Will the moles eat my tubers?

Thanks,
Joe

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Any vines non-toxic to dogs??
Just built a nice cedar arbor and now going nuts trying...
stevef25
Cupseed - Calycocarpum lyonii
Does anyone have experience with Cupseed - Calycocarpum...
stardrifting
Gnarly old grape vine
A neglected grape vine/arbour with a lattice of thick...
logo
Concord Grape - Sprouting Inside in Jan? Help!
Hi, I inherited a concord grapevine when my Father...
Tippy9
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™