Compost Pellets

lville72August 15, 2008

Hello, I am a bonsai tree enthusiast, and I have a number of trees in training pots. I want to apply my vermicompost to them as a natural supplement to my fertilizing. I would like to take small clumps (1-2 tablespoons) and then wrap each clump up in an old bit of pantyhose or maybe cheesecloth. Then I'll set these around each tree, maybe 3-5 per pot.

My logic is that 1) I wouldn't have to deal with making a tea or anything each couple weeks, and 2) I could lessen the problem of fine partical build-up inside the pots as the compost breaks down over time. (Bonsai use a very free-draining soil mix--can't have muddy soil full of water at the bottom of the pot.)

What do you think of this idea? Can vermicompost dry out and still be just as effective and potent as when it is damp?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rj_hythloday(8A VA)

AVCT is supposed to help plants sprayed directly on foliage, provides a microbial environment that helps prevent disease, bugs, improve growth etc. Don't know about it mixing into the soil from the top. I imagine it's an undesired look? Since they are training pots I think it'd be alright, then mix some directly into the potting mixture when they get moved.

Bookmark   August 15, 2008 at 9:37AM
squeeze(z8 BC)

I wouldn't worry about it messing up your free draining soil, good castings are more in the nature of humus, simply adding organic matter that takes a very long time to physically break down, while supplying nutrients that the soil bacteria can convert for the plants - best to have it spread around just under the surface so it doesn't totally dry, and water leaching thru it is accessible to all the feeder roots

Bill

Bookmark   August 16, 2008 at 12:21AM
lightedtreewithin

I'm new to this forum and came across this particular subject. When using vermicompost doesn't the castings retain water ? and if so would vermicompost be beneficial to Bonsai trees ? and how much would you calculate in usage ? I've read elsewhere that you shouldn't use vermicompost because your Bonsai will grow quickly and prove troublesome to care. HELP !

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 2:05AM
JerilynnC

Here's a link to another forum's post that talks about VC and bonsai trees.

Enjoy! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonsai & Vermicompost

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 1:56AM
More Discussions
Serving up a tray of worms
Just thought I'd share a pic of my worm project. Been...
David Myhra
putting bin outside to deal with fly problem?
I have been trying to deal with an infestation of flies since...
granite_grrl
Starting large scale HM worm beds
Finally got the first of many loads hauled, door to...
nexev - Zone 8b
Worms and assorted flying things
So I've got two bins going right now, and both have...
bassopotamus
cow manure
I've always heard about horse manure but I've only...
chazz1100
Sponsored Products
Lifetime 80-gallon Compost Tumbler
Overstock.com
Catskill Craftsmen Pro Board - 1326
$34.54 | Hayneedle
White & Pink I'm a Princess Paper Straw - Set of 48
$7.99 | zulily
Garland Handy Dandy 2.4 Gallon Recycled Plastic Compost Pail - GP2
$29.99 | Hayneedle
Aqua Spripe & Dot Paper Straw - Set of 50
$8.99 | zulily