what are these vines?

Lola1987July 10, 2013

Hi there,
I have recently moved into a new house and there are vines all over my front garden. I am not much a gardener, and I have no idea what they are, or how to remove them. It is starting to grow into neighbouring gardens and causing problems.
Please help!
Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kayjones(Mo6b)

It's hard to tell, but it looks like Antigonon leptos.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 4:17PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
florauk(8/9)

Lolo1987 is in the UK so I am afraid that that is unequivocally Calystegia sepium, Hedge Bindweed. I fervently advise you not to attempt to plant anything in your front garden until it is entirely eradicated. You can pull off as much as possible and then you will need to dig over the ground with a fork removing every little piece of root you can find. I would do this repeatedly until the Autumn. If it is then clear you can plant up your front garden. You might be tempted to use weed killer but although it will knock it back a bit it will not kill it entirely and it will be back unless you absolutely blast it repeatedly.

Some people here might suggest covering the ground with cardboard or black plastic - these are people who have never dealt with bindweed!

If you are tempted to plant before it is gone you will have it for ever.

Your neighbours look as if they have a nice garden and they will thank you heartily if you get rid of the Bindweed as it is probably going next door too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedge Bindweed

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 4:32AM
More Discussions
Indoors Grown Morning Glories
Here are some recently grown MGs, enjoy!
gerris2
Cupseed - Calycocarpum lyonii
Does anyone have experience with Cupseed - Calycocarpum...
stardrifting
Fast growing shade vine for window box?
Hi there! I have 3 windows in my apartment that directly...
gwl2051
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
Best permanent indoor hanging vines?
Hello vine forum, Looking for some aesthetically pleasing...
gribbleton
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™