Need Low maintenance flowering vine for arbor

mombay(6)July 29, 2012

I have a five foot wide arbor which is situated just before a staircase going down to a sidewalk. At present it has Carolina Jasmine, a vigorous vine, growing on it which requires too much maintenance. The new growth shoots out in long branches making the arbor look like it's having a "bad hair day" shortly after being trimmed. Because of the stairway it's kind of dangerous to position ladders on the stair side for trimming. I expect to have to trim but hopefully not as often. I would like a vine that would cover the area reasonably soon but wouldn't have to be trimmed as often as the jasmine.

Any ideas will be very much appreciated.

Nan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogturtle(SE NJ 7a)

All of the native Lonicera Sempervirens sorts do not grow with the vigor of Gelsemium sempervirens, and I especially like the sort named 'magnifica'. But check out gardenvines.com, a PA nursery with a vast array of vines.
I also grow L. pericymenum, L. 'Mandarin' and L. tragophylla. Only periclymenum, among the three, has really taken off for me, while they do grow and bloom.
This spring I bought 3 everblooming climbing roses and they have been much more insect and disease resistant than roses from my childhood. A red, a yellow and a peach, with small blooms in clusters, and they are beautiful.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
Are old MG seeds still good
I have some Japanese morning glory seeds that are several...
eloise_ca
Parthenosissus quinquefolia support ideas
I would like to grow Virginia Creeper over a metal...
needsweeding
Pruning Solanum jasminoides ( Potato vine )
Does anyone know how far back I can trim my potato...
chiquitajuanita
Best Evergreen Vine
I am looking for a fast growing vine that will retain...
dandkmom
sweet autumn clematis
I planted one of these in the fall close to my house....
sorie6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™