using coffee grounds on plants

leslie_cJune 17, 2007

Has anyone tried using coffee grounds on their tomato plants? I tried last year and it seemed to work. I heard you should try it after the first tomato shows, anyone have any ideas? Here's a link to one site that talks about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: using coffee grounds

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sprtsguy76(Santa Clara Ca. 9b)

I just picked up 2 10 lbs bags of used grounds from starbucks and I think I'm going to put them in my compost pile. I might even sprinkle some on top of my mulch. Its seems to be loaded with nitrogen so I will be careful.

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 3:16PM
zucchini(5a ONT)

Have not done it in a couple of years. I used to take garbage bags full from Starbucks..dumped it right into the soil..I think it is good.
Martha/zucchini

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 8:11PM
sunsi(z5 NY)

I have always dumped the grounds around my pine trees and roses but will consider using them on tomatoes now thanks :)

Bookmark   June 17, 2007 at 11:17PM
qaguy

No problem using them on tomatoes or anything else for that matter.
They add organic matter to the soil (the filters will break down too,
so throw them in) and attract earthworms! An added bonus.

Been using them for years and the garden is doing great. Can't
attribute all of that to the coffee grounds because I've added
other amendments as well. But I sure it helped.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 2:41AM
doof

Just an observation...

We go through a LOT of coffee in this household. Last year, I got into the habit of dumping my coffee grounds in different parts of the garden. I don't have a compost heap, so I just dumped them.

One of the places that I regularly dumped grounds, a spot in my raspberry patch, was totally bare of plant life this year, (not even WEEDS) exactly in the place where I did the most dumping.

Could be a coincidence. I don't know. But I'm trying to spread them out more, just in case.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 10:42AM
maupin(z6 So. IL)

I compost the filters and use the grounds as a tip dressing. Otherwise the filters dry out and blow away. Don't top dress too heavy or the grounds will repel water otherwise headed for your root zone. Light application or scratch it in.

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 4:51PM
orangetj

try tobacco leaves. youll have livley tomacco's in no time

Bookmark   June 18, 2007 at 4:58PM
rdubow

I use coffee grounds...just the 1/2 cup I ground about 3-4 days a week in my tomatoes and my "mini" rose plants! THEY LOVE THEM! I am a zone 4 and I have 4' plants with HUGE green fruits all over them and even my mini roses have like 6-10 blooms per plant! I just scoop a table spoon or so around the base of each one (sometimes doing every other one, sometimes just random ones) and then when I water (like 1-2 times per week) it gets watered into the soil! I recommend coffee grounds to all tomato people I know...but like anything....moderation! 10 pounds is a ton of grounds! I recommend like a tablespoon or two a week per plant and that's all!

Bec

Bookmark   June 19, 2007 at 2:11AM
jaytea(9)

Used coffee grounds are great for vermicomposting. The worms love them!
JT

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 1:40AM
miesenbacher(7)

If you want to give your coffee grounds a kick check out the link below. It's a blend of natural nutrients with mycorrhizae fungi. You get the concentrate and mix with 5lbs of coffee grounds and use as directed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardengrounds

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 8:37AM
cyumickey(Sunset 18)

ah...I've been wondering about this as well...can I just start mixing it into my soil before I plant my seedlings? What about eggshells? Coffee and eggshells?

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 12:15PM
herbivore

What about eggshells? Coffee and eggshells?

I have a coffee can that is slowly filling up with my used (and dried) coffee grounds and cleaned, crushed eggshells. We are house-hunting; I can't wait to finally get a garden and use my Magic Coffee Can ingredients! :D

I've heard that one of the best things you can do for tomato plants is put about 6-8 cups of crushed eggshells in the planting hole before adding the plant. I did it last year and my tomatoes turned out really well. Eggshells provide calcium that is good for the plants and prevents blossom end rot.

Also, it saves those nutrients from sitting in a plastic trash bag in a landfill for thousands of years!

Bookmark   March 17, 2008 at 2:51PM
kerry67

In using coffee grounds for tomato plants, how often should, or can, this be done?

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 7:40PM
hotroxy51_yahoo_com

Thank you all I'll try them in my tomatos and roses also in my garden.I'll let you know! @

Bookmark   July 30, 2011 at 1:37PM
More Discussions
Concerned about Mr. Stripey Heirloom Tomatoes
I recently picked up a pakc of little tomato plants...
Noteybook
Turbo-Tomato Mulch (Red Plastic) From Gurneys
First time poster here. I wonder if anybody has used...
andrew_swmo
Supermarket Tomatoes 4
On 1-27-15 I planted 4 more seeds again from a supermarket...
garf_gw
New To Me .. Big Beef
I know there are some of you who are/have been growing...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
Fourth of July ....
Fourth of July is my favorite day. How about a tomato...
Seysonn_ 7b-WA/HZ1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™