Here we go!
I posted a month or so ago about setting up a simple vermipost bin for my son's Scout project, and received a lot of great advice. Due to summer craziness, things kind of got pushed to the side, but we are ready to rock and roll now! About a week after my post we got a rubbermaid tote and drilled holes in the bottom and along the top edge, and placed inside an un-drilled tote for a catch-tray. This has been sitting in the kitchen collecting shredded paper and cardboard. At the same time we purchased a plastic garbage can and drilled holes in the bottom and top edge - this has been collecting kitchen waste, lawn clippings, and more paper and cardboard that has started decomposing so we can feed our worms with it. Flash forward to today - it's FINALLY time to add some worms! With vacations and the insane summer schedule I figured we should hold off getting the worms until we knew we'd be home for a couple weeks to make sure they get settled, so since school started yesterday, it's time! Yes, i'm more excited about this than the boy, but he will only be tending to it for 90 days for his merit badge and after that it becomes my "free turtle food factory". Last week we started a "slug and pill bug" factory so our Sheldon should be eating well all winter :)
I'll keep you updated on our progress, and will more than likely be back with questions. Thanks guys!