good vines for growing w/trees (other than clematis)

mrs_ravenholtJuly 25, 2007

hi, I have a large lot by wetlands and a few trees that I'd like to grow flowering vines up. I love Clematis though already have more than 10 in my garden so I want something else. I have a wall of arborvaite that's huge - probably 30' high and 60' wide. I also have some evergreens and ash trees too that I'd like to have flowers on.

What is your experience with growing vines on trees? I'd love to hear your suggestions please. I am considering trumpet vines for their hummingbird appeal and jasmin for the scent, though am concerned they might choke my trees.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chazparas(USDA zone 9 , San Jose, CA)

Mrs.
If you're considering the campsis trumpet vines, please reconsider, they will in time take down your arborvitae and spread to the ends of your property! They are also not the hummingbird magnet the companies that sell them make them out to be. They get an occasional visit here from the hummers but not the swarms you'd be led to believe.
Other than climbing hydrangea which would need a strong support I'd use something like passiflora incarnata, or incense. Maybe even annual vines like cardinal climer, the hummers love them here in New England.

Bookmark   July 26, 2007 at 9:25AM
deeg

Hi Mrs Ravenholt. I don't know how well they grow in Seattle, but I've had great luck with my yellow alamanda. It's taken over my fence and grown half way up a nearby Palm tree.

They have to be trained though. They're not like vines that have suckers or climbers or whatever they're called. You can see a picture of it at the link below.

Take Care,
Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: Alamanda growing like crazy!

Bookmark   August 1, 2007 at 11:40PM
deeg

Hi again Mrs Ravenholt. Here's a picture of the Alamanda I referred to in the previous post:

By dgarrand, shot with PDRM5 at 2007-08-02

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Dee

Bookmark   August 2, 2007 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
Wysteria
does all Wysteria spread in a vine like fashion? I...
marial1214
Cascading Vine for Window Planter?
I recently moved out of a house with ample yard space...
SwampSlug
Overgrown - I think honeysuckle but not sure...
I have a fence in the backyard that hasn't been tended...
Matthew Williams
Is there any reason to save these grape vines?
We bought a house a year back, and in the yard was...
dblank
Fast Growing Vines
Hey everyone! I would like to get some fast growing...
Matt Conner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™