Cow Manure in Compost Bin?

KendraSchmidtAugust 23, 2012

I would like to add gardensoil to a new worm bin to get my worms settled, but my soil is very sandy and dry. My question is, can I add some manure from a composted bag of cow manure that I have on hand?

Even if I can add the sandy soil, which I don't want to, I would like to know if it's possible to add composted cow manure to the bin to get the worms settled and feeling at home.

The cow manure is composted, and smells like earth.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PeterK2

While in theory should be fine, it can depend on your system, the manure etc. As it's composted and sounds good I'd think you would be ok, but as always for safety can try in small amounts and always add with bedding.

Here's link from a great site just on this topic.
http://www.redwormcomposting.com/reader-questions/manure-in-a-home-worm-bin/

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 4:30PM
sbryce_gw

I don't understand why you want to add sandy soil or commercial composted manure to your worm bin. If you want to get your worms settled, try compost from a compost pile. Or dig into a neighbor's pile of grass clippings that have been tossed over the fence. Dig down and get the black, crumbly stuff from the bottom of the pile. Or go hiking and grab some duff off the ground. Or get some horse manure from a nearby stable, or start your worm bin a couple of weeks before your worms arrive.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 1:58PM
3DinAz

After learning how long it takes for greensand to break down in soil and become available to my plants, I began to put it into my worm bin instead. The worms need grit to aid in their digestion so I see it as a good additive. I toss a little a time along with very small amounts of kelp and alfalfa meal.

In regard to adding compost, I highly recommend finding a quality product if that is the route you choose to go. You'll certainly have a superior product in the end in comparison to a bedding comprised of only shredded paper. I use shredded paper along with composted chicken manure as my bedding. Its cost effective and quality at the same time. I also throw in corrugated carboard. For some reason the worms love to leave the cocoons there. The chicken poop can be found for approx $4+ at most nuseries...decent sized bags. Whatever manure you decide, just make sure its composted...you'll be fine.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Survivability of worm eggs.
I had a lidded bucket of vermicompost sitting outside...
theforgottenone1013
Starting large scale HM worm beds
Finally got the first of many loads hauled, door to...
nexev - Zone 8b
Worm Sounds
Everyone I mention this to thinks I am crazy ;) I know...
mendopete
Worm illness / worms are dying
Hi there, I have a serious problem with my worm bin: Same...
Horst Knotter
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
Sponsored Products
SystemBuild Storage & Organizers 10.5 in. x 11 in. x 10.5 in. 5.25 gal. Red
$6.18 | Home Depot
Twine Garden Box
$430.00 | Horchow
Alabaster Rocks! Finials 14-Inch Two-Light Dark Bronze Semi-Flush Mount With Con
$510.00 | Bellacor
Have Hope Box Sign
| Dot & Bo
Round Waste Bin With Pedal
TheBathOutlet
Witt Industries Can Collector 22 Gallon Blue Recycling Bin - 10/1DTDB
$110.44 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™