What variety of native wisteria is this

cadillactasteJuly 7, 2014

Though...it's the smallest bud...opening. We are anticipating storms to roll through. I grabbed a quick photo of the smallest opening up. Figuring the blooms may have a chance of being damaged. And I really would like to figure out which variety I own.

I presumed Amethyst Falls...but...I thought the bloom would be much lighter. Though...previous spent racemes stems are between 2-6". I also heard if it had a scent it would smell like cat urine. This one...has a scent...slightly fragrant...and quite pleasant. (Nothing like cat urine)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cadillactaste

Curious if soil and habitat around it doesn't factor into some of the variations I am finding with Amethyst Falls...or...if there are other varieties of it. Some I have done a Google search on says they have a nice fragrance...some say they smell pungent like cat urine (no mistaking that scent!) others say...it has no fragrance at all. Yet all are listed as Amethyst Falls...some blooms seem pale lavender...while others seem dark purple with my search as well.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 6:42PM
cadillactaste

It has rained here,then the sun came out. I was outside picking up branches from the winds that blew through...and my neighbor was walking by...stopped and commented on this tree. She commented on the slight sweet fragrance asking if it was the tree she was smelling? I told her to go ahead and take a closer sniff of the blooms and see. She laughed out loud and declared indeed it was! When the wind blew again...you could smell a faint sweet smell.

Really wish I knew this variety. Assumed it was Amethyst Falls...but...no where do ones say it smells pleasant. I am thinking another variety it must be. For it has the small blooms/racemes that the Amethyst Falls are known for.

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 6:48PM
cadillactaste

Even the sucker is blooming...(plan on air layering it next year)

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 8:39PM
cadillactaste

What a beautiful...floral sweet fragrance. All the neighbors are commenting. (Subtle you have to get up close to it to smell it...they noticed when admiring the small blooms.)

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 8:40PM
More Discussions
Wysteria
does all Wysteria spread in a vine like fashion? I...
marial1214
Will disturbing roots inhibit flowering of Confederate Jasmine ?
I have a large confederate jasmine (trachelospermum...
peterk312
Getting hops and honeysuckles to climb tall smooth posts?
I've got some vigorous hops vine, and so far less big...
fireweed22
Pruning
Need to do a hard prune on my hybrid honeysuckle vine....can...
Pam Merrill
Looking for vine seeds
Hi! We are looking for vine seeds (flower) for a garden...
countryladies14
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Gobi Wool Rug
Serena & Lily
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Tulip Red/Yellow 7 ft. 9 in. x 10
Home Depot
LumenAria 24-Inch 5000 Lumen LED Bronze Semi-Flush Mount
Bellacor
53" POLYWOOD Round Walk-In Picnic Table
Fifthroom.com
Harlingen Six-Jet Outdoor Shower Panel With Hand Shower
Signature Hardware