Thank you for banana info!!!

fisheggs(5NY)August 3, 2009

Hi folks!

I just wanted to thank you and all the archives for helping me solve my first vermicomposting problem. We have our bins in the basement, where we also run a dehumidifier. So far, the newspaper bedding has remained slightly moist and the worms are happy enough that they are distributed throughout the bin pretty well. But I had begun my feeding with a couple of banana peels that didn't seem to have anything happening to them! If anything, they were just mummifying, getting hard and dry. Apples and coffee grounds are disappearing fast.

Based on my searches here, I started cutting them up with an old pair of scissors first into ~1 inch size pieces, and making sure that I kept them a few days before feeding. The last 4 or five that I fed to the wormikins have become pretty much unrecognizable. Such a simple solution, but I don't know that I'd have thought to do that on my own.

This is so much fun!

Ro

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leearnold(z5 In.)

You're welcome from all of us. And welcome to the forum!

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 1:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasdip

LOL.....and we helped you without even knowing it!
Just a thought........I chop and freeze ALL my food. This speeds up the decomposition, so the worms eat it quicker. When you have more food than they can handle (and we all do), you stay ahead of the game, and don't need to throw anything out.

Be sure to cover any food addition with lots of dry shreds to discourage fruit flies. Especially with your banana peels and any fruit. Freezing also kills fruit flies.

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
Starting large scale HM worm beds
Finally got the first of many loads hauled, door to...
nexev - Zone 8b
Worm Sounds
Everyone I mention this to thinks I am crazy ;) I know...
mendopete
putting bin outside to deal with fly problem?
I have been trying to deal with an infestation of flies since...
granite_grrl
Worm Factory outdoors
Would this kill the worms or just decrease their activity...
pasmack
Moldy Coffee Grounds
I have a large plastic container of used coffee grounds...
Shaul
Sponsored Products
Illumine Ceiling Mounted Lighting Genre 3-Light Oil Rubbed Bronze Flush Mount
Home Depot
White Atomic Digital Wall Clock
$31.95 | Bellacor
Heirloom Polished Nickel One-Light Small Wall Sconce with Flat Metal Shade and W
$398.00 | Bellacor
Antique Brass Whitehaus WHFH-HC4550 Kitchen Hot & Cold Water Dispenser
$269.00 | Blue Bath
Aquasana Countertop Water Filter
$104.95 | FRONTGATE
Abetta Gaited Round Skirt Saddle - 205366BK
$397.47 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™