That old purple phlox and euphorbia...

cynthianovakMarch 28, 2011

Hi All

You know that light purple phlox common at old houses? I have some in part sun. I need to replace my Moonflowers (Datura) and wonder if it can take full pounding sun on the H-strip?

In that light...I'm spending a gift certificate to Bluestone Periennials. I'm looking at several of these: Bonfire, Chameleon, Tiny tim and Polychroma. Any experience with these? Can they really take hot and dry and Texas Sun? They say so and I've ordered but now I wonder if y'all know what to expect.

thank you

c

A

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debndal(8a DFW, TX)

I have Phlox Pilosa "Slim Jim" in full blazing sun and it does great, but it only blooms for a while. If you want something that blooms ALL season long, try perennial moss verbena.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 9:37AM
pjtexgirl(7b DFW)

I don't think it will be as hardy as the Datura. Datura can grow anywhere. If it doesn't work out you can always but the datura back.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 11:29AM
holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas

Cynthia - I don't have those varieties of euphorbia, but I do grow a couple of other varieties and they do great here. I bet you will have good success with your euphorbias. They are a nice unusual accent plant.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 12:24PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Many Euphorbias can not take the heat and sun of Texas. E, rigida and E, myrosintes can but I don't know about these others. Good luck. I have killed a few of the other types but not those listed. I am pretty sure the polycroma will not take the heat. I can't remember where I heard that

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 1:43AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I also Have grown Phlox pilosa in the sun and the shade without any extra water.. They are getting ready to bloom as I type. It is a spreader.

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 1:47AM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Bluestone Perennial is from Ohio. Their concept of hot and dry is different from a Texan's idea of hot and dry. So be careful.

Bookmark   March 31, 2011 at 2:06AM
cynthianovak

thank you
My order didn't go through, so I will try something else. I looked up the phlox pilosa and that doesn't look like the one I have. My leaves are smooth. I'll try a few babies. Going to plant some verbena on the strip too and other hardy pers.

Y'all are a wealth of knowledge and experience.

c

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
Favorite plants?
As a relatively new Texas gardener, I'm curious: what's...
intxfromoregon
Big orange tree in fruit ...
I don't know why I've never seen it before, but there...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Lady Banks on roof
Lady Banks, Old Blush, and Mermaid (not yet blooming)...
catheyz8rr
Snow last night wrecked my greenhouse....
Well, I beleive i had mentioned before how I was regretting...
cygnwulf
Rusty blackhaw viburnum spacing to fence
Intend to train this small RBV (Viburnum rufidulum)...
bostedo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™