Prepping my veg garden

zerbit(5)August 30, 2009

My husband and son just built three great raised beds we are going to use for vegetables in the spring. I'm wondering if I should use this time to start worm colonies in the beds and even experiment with feeding them (kitchen waste) through the end of the growing season and into the winter.

Yes, I'm a noob and if this is dumb, try to be gentle with me. I'd love any feedback from you seasoned gardners! :^)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
leearnold(z5 In.)

It would be fine to start the beds now. Just remember, the adult worms won't make it through the winter unless you insulate the beds well. If you have access to leaves, you could pile them real deep on the beds to help insulate it. But even if the adults don't make it, they will lay lots of cocoons as colder weather approaches. And the babies will hatch in the spring, ready for your beds. Also, you need to keep the organic matter level of the bed high so that they have something to eat. Good luck with your project. Let us know how it goes!

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 3:56PM
sbryce_gw

Prep your beds now. Either work a lot of compost into the soil, and wait for the soil dwelling worms to show up, or create a trench composting system. A trench system is just a worm bin in a trench along one edge of the garden. As leearnold mentioned, the worms may not overwinter.

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/large-scale-vermicomposting/the-vermicomposting-trench/

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 4:19PM
zerbit(5)

Thanks for the responses. I've got somewhere to start.

Bookmark   September 1, 2009 at 8:40AM
zerbit(5)

I've gone out and worked some water into the soil, created a trench on one side of one of the three beds and buried it. I gave myself about 4-6 inches from the side so there was some soil for insulation and now I will start with my worms. I'm so excited!!!

Bookmark   September 6, 2009 at 5:31PM
karnina

what happens to the worms in the trench after a season of growing?

do you leave them in the soil to die?
do you take them out somehow or maybe keep feeding them on the surface of the soil ?

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 5:10AM
More Discussions
Puffs Plus with Lotion Tissues/Kleenex
Hello all, This is my first post in this forum so I...
latebloomer23
Shredded Cardboard Question
I am a vermicompost novice with two bins right now...
bassopotamus
Air: Pump + Stone
How about a 5" airstone disc with a small (for...
barbararose21101
recent roamers
I've had 2 bins inside since last Oct. without any...
harry57
Help ID the worm?
Bought my little herd a year ago and kind of mixed...
rubyz_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™