Turfalo

prairiepaintbrush(RedOak, TX z7/8)March 22, 2007

or however you speel it. Does anyone know what kind of a grass it is? I'm skeert of it. I'm afraid it's just a new version of bermuda, the scourge of humanity. SAAAALLLLYYYY!!!! Do you know anything about it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jolanaweb

I have a little buffalo, but we are going to put in Turfalo
and it is not like bermuda, lol

Here is a link that might be useful: turfalo

Bookmark   March 22, 2007 at 11:09PM
bev1951(z7Lubbock,Tx)

This is the 2nd or 3rd year for our turfalo, we put it in the middle of Sept & it has totally covered the area. It needs maybe an inch of rain a month & doesn't have to be mowed unless you want it manicured & neat. I wanted a wildflower meadow, so the next section that goes in DH gets to mow. I think the highest it grew was maybe 9 or 10 inches. I have daffs planted in it, volunteer larkspur, & german chamomile so far. All this is in the backyard around the pond, the front will have to be more DH's style. Hopefully we can put more in on the narrow side of the front yard. The grass is soft on your toes. I love it. Bev

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 12:22AM
marti8a

prairiepaintbrush, are you going to put it in?

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 12:24AM
marti8a

Bev, did you have to wipe out all existing grass like you have to do with buffalo grass, or did you just till & plant? Will it crowd out weeds or any other grasses, like bermuda?

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 12:29AM
bev1951(z7Lubbock,Tx)

the place we put it in was where we'd put all the dirt from digging the pond. It was total weeds then once we got the dirt leveled & dug up, we just planted the plugs. A few weeds tried to grow up in the gaps but were easy to pull up & the turfalo filled in pretty quick. It's looking pretty thick & except for a couple of places no problems with weeds. I think we had so much moisture over the winter that some weed seeds germinated. It's greening up nicely & is about 4 inches high.
Bev

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 12:58AM
More Discussions
An awesome surprise!
We had made a giant tee pee in the atrium to cover...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Your best all around plant.
What has been your best all around plant that you can...
nate82
Need suggestions for a privacy hedge along my fence line
My backyard is about 3/4 of an acre and our HOA requires...
5995richmond
Can you ID this bird?
These pictures are from Carrie. Can you ID this bird? Thank...
roselee z8b S.W. Texas
Do you use sprinkler, sprinkler system or soaker hoses?
I used to have a sprinkler system around my foundation...
marti8a
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™